Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"salesman board samples"

Article about: Hi guys. Some things I have thought of often, maybe someone would be kind enough to answer. The so called "Salesman board samples" sometimes seen on a cardboard backing araingement

Default "salesman board samples"

Hi guys.

Some things I have thought of often, maybe someone would be kind enough to answer.

The so called "Salesman board samples" sometimes seen on a cardboard backing araingement, who were these salesman selling to ? Speaking of decorations for the TR. Who made the decision what maker of badges were to be issued & at what level ? A quartermaster for a particular unit ? Who decided if they wanted to issue Schwerins or S&L or RS, zinc or tombak ? If a soldier in say..1940-41 was awarded a wound badge or an IAB...it happened to be zinc, would he then be able to private purchase a higher quality visually pleasing version of the badge in tombak or maybe something fire guilded from a shop ?

This could be, maybe the salesman marketed his products at a shop, an awarded soldier could walk in with documentation of a received badge/medal & have the option to purchase one of higher quality ? Similar to a visor hat or tunic worn for dress or "on leave".

So, with this being said...could one conclude badges that were the actual ones issued might have been unmarked & of the lowest quality available ?
    Then it was an option to trade it in for an upgraded higher quality maker marked badge ? Could this be why there are so many unmarked zinc badges, these might have been the ones actually awarded at the time of presentation for economical reasons ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement "salesman board samples"
    P
    Many

?

Being in Sales I have many speculations and opinions but not too much knowledge on the salesman sample history. I know there will be someone who will have some good data. Should be a nice thread David and thanks for posting.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Hi Rossi

Often think if I was on a Uboat crew & my Uboat badge was some unmarked, starting to deteriorate, zincer & my shipmate was wearing a nice fire guilded tombak Schwerin...I would be insulted (LOL)..."why does he get the nice bright gold badge & I don't ?"

CBH
    ?

Most of the salesman sample boards I've seen were for insignia more then awards, numbered buttons, traditional badges, and similar uniform accoutrements. These I believe were used by tailors for Private purchase uniforms.
    With awards I think you could aways buy an nicer example if you had the award documents. Also Jewellers copies were sometimes purchased to keep the original safe especially higher awards being worn in combat , Knights Crosses for example.

Hi Chris

Agree about the "jewelers copy"...however I would think the monetary value of a knights cross & an IC2 would not be a drastic difference back in the day. Probably priced somewhat similar to each other. KC had some silver in its' construction, but I would think similar to an IC2 in the value of the materials used.

David

CBH
    ?

More sentimental value, this was award to me, so I'll keep it safe at home, and wear a copy kind of thing.

Quote by CBH View Post
    More sentimental value, this was award to me, so I'll keep it safe at home, and wear a copy kind of thing.
    Got it !! Maybe even buy a few of them if worn in combat

CBH
    ?

There is a famous photo from Signal Magazine of a young officer in combat, with his KC hanging by one side of its ribbon.
    It made me wonder what ever happen to him and his award.

"salesman board samples"

Not a contribution to David's question but that is a great image Chris. Great topic David! Best regards.

Brian

The company barber must have been a "KIA" casualty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast