Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SS Research Question - Help if possible

Article about: Hi All, Where would be the best resource to find informtation on an SS Soldier? Name: SS – Uscha – Otto Fritz - 2 Fe / Nachr. Abt. 106. Pretty light I know. Have nothing else. Any thoughts?

?

Default SS Research Question - Help if possible

Hi All,

Where would be the best resource to find information on an SS Soldier?

SS – Uscha – Otto Fritz - 2 Fe / Nachr. Abt. 106.

Pretty light I know. Have nothing else. Any thoughts?

Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS Research Question - Help if possible
    P
    Many

As he was just a low ranking soldier and not a winner of any high end award the chances are that you won't be able to find out anything about him. Without a date & place of birth you can't even contact WASt to see if they have any details as the name is very common.
    Your best hope is that someone somewhere has his Wehrpass/Soldbuch/Wehrstammbuch and can provide the details they hold, that's if they still exist or are not sat in an archive somewhere.

As for the abbreviations (although you probably know those already):

"SS-Uscha." stands for the rank SS-Unterscharführer, i.e. a Corporal.

"Nachr. Abt. 106" is Nachrichten-Abteilung 106, i.e. Signals Detachment 106. The SS-Korps-Nachrichten-Abteilung 106 was the corps signals unit for the VI. SS-Freiwilligen-Armeekorps, i.e. the VI. SS Volunteer Army Corps, which included the 15th and 19th Latvian divisions.

"2 Fe" is the component unit. I would assume this to be the "2. (Fernsprech) Kompanie", i.e. the 2nd (Telephone) Company. As I understand it, corps signals detachments had one telephone- and one radio company.

As for the man himself:

As has been said above, researching him will be difficult. Data on a commissioned officer may be found in the SS' officer seniority lists, but this was a humble JNCO. Even with additional data available, the Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) wouldn't be of help, as they only provide data to veterans and their relatives. (Sorry, I have no experience with other possibilities for archival research.)

I have checked the database of the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge (the German War Graves Commission) for the name, but came up with no definitive result. It lists 8 pages of men with the name Otto Fritz. We can obviously disregard those who died in WWI and those with a Wehrmacht rank, but that still leaves a substantial number of men with no rank given. It might be that your Otto Fritz is one of them, but there really is no way of knowing.

?

Thank you for taking time to respond. I really do appreciate your information and detail. I wish I had more to go on like an Ausweis Number or Soldbuch as Hucks216 mentioned. My Grandmother was a German Warbride. We have one article from him as she knew him in Germany. I have had a tough time tracking anything further info on him.

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    As for the abbreviations (although you probably know those already):

"SS-Uscha." stands for the rank SS-Unterscharführer, i.e. a Corporal.

"Nachr. Abt. 106" is Nachrichten-Abteilung 106, i.e. Signals Detachment 106. The SS-Korps-Nachrichten-Abteilung 106 was the corps signals unit for the VI. SS-Freiwilligen-Armeekorps, i.e. the VI. SS Volunteer Army Corps, which included the 15th and 19th Latvian divisions.

"2 Fe" is the component unit. I would assume this to be the "2. (Fernsprech) Kompanie", i.e. the 2nd (Telephone) Company. As I understand it, corps signals detachments had one telephone- and one radio company.

As for the man himself:

As has been said above, researching him will be difficult. Data on a commissioned officer may be found in the SS' officer seniority lists, but this was a humble JNCO. Even with additional data available, the Deutsche Dienststelle (WASt) wouldn't be of help, as they only provide data to veterans and their relatives. (Sorry, I have no experience with other possibilities for archival research.)

I have checked the database of the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge (the German War Graves Commission) for the name, but came up with no definitive result. It lists 8 pages of men with the name Otto Fritz. We can obviously disregard those who died in WWI and those with a Wehrmacht rank, but that still leaves a substantial number of men with no rank given. It might be that your Otto Fritz is one of them, but there really is no way of knowing.

?

Thanks hucks216

Appreciate it

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    As he was just a low ranking soldier and not a winner of any high end award the chances are that you won't be able to find out anything about him. Without a date & place of birth you can't even contact WASt to see if they have any details as the name is very common.
    Your best hope is that someone somewhere has his Wehrpass/Soldbuch/Wehrstammbuch and can provide the details they hold, that's if they still exist or are not sat in an archive somewhere.

?

All is not lost, I would consult with Dieter Stenger of Stenger Historica. He has successfully researched many SS soldiers for me from the NARA archives, some even with handwriting matches. EM and NCO are more difficult, but I would take a run at it.

?

Thanks Doug. Very helpful as well. What are Dieter's fees to do research? I believe to have a photo of Otto Fritz with my Grandmother in 1940 prior to meeting and Marrying my Grandfather in 1947 after he was in Germany WWII with the US Military.

Appreciate the help

Rossi

Quote by DougB View Post
    All is not lost, I would consult with Dieter Stenger of Stenger Historica. He has successfully researched many SS soldiers for me from the NARA archives, some even with handwriting matches. EM and NCO are more difficult, but I would take a run at it.

Quote by Rossi View Post
    I believe to have a photo of Otto Fritz with my Grandmother in 1940 prior to meeting and Marrying my Grandfather in 1947 after he was in Germany WWII with the US Military.
    Could you (or, more precisely, would you like to) post it here?

?

I am going to try to get into the photo album with my Father in the next week or so and will post picture. Want to dig on him if I can. Once I have more detail I will reach back out to you guys. We have notations on the back of picture about him. My Grandfather's writing and believe he may have met him but unsure post war. My Dad has a pair of gas glasses that are his we believe are Otto's as well my grandfather picked up in germany. She knew many German soldiers. Dated Many of them. I also have most of my militaria from germany as my grandfather got to know many german soldiers post war along with her family who had a couple brothers who were in the Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine. There is a book on her that was written by her neighbor called Feisty Lydia - Memoirs of a German Warbride. I after all these years am still putting pieces together.

Video Link here if you want to learn about the book:

http://www.thebalancingact.com/BA_vi...X32FEP5VN02366

Quote by HPL2008 View Post
    Could you (or, more precisely, would you like to) post it here?

?

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Thanks Doug. Very helpful as well. What are Dieter's fees to do research? I believe to have a photo of Otto Fritz with my Grandmother in 1940 prior to meeting and Marrying my Grandfather in 1947 after he was in Germany WWII with the US Military.

Appreciate the help

Rossi
    Unless he has changed I think he charges a base fee of $120 plus time spent. Usually I pay about $150 but I try to give him multiple research projects at one time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast