Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

StraBenBau meaning.

Article about: Hello I am trying to find out the meaning of the abbreviation StraBenBau and have, so far, had no luck with my internet searches. I'm guessing that it is some kind of Heer pioneer unit, prob

Default StraBenBau meaning.

Hello

I am trying to find out the meaning of the abbreviation StraBenBau and have, so far, had no luck with my internet searches.

I'm guessing that it is some kind of Heer pioneer unit, probably serving in the Soviet Union.

I have a late 1942 postcard with the Feldpost Nummer 27570 and all I can find is that it was used by the 2. Kompanie StraBenbau-Bataillon 538.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement StraBenBau meaning.
    P
    Many

Could it be straßenbau? if so a road construction unit.

It's the German double S that looks like a capital B that is foxing you I think.

The word is Strassenbau and you are correct with Pionere (English would be Engineers rather than Pioneers which is a term used in the British Army but their role is a bit different) and Strassenbau literally means "road building or construction".

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark

PS GH quicker on the trigger!
    PPS So, 2nd Company Road Construction Battalion 538
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-01-2020 at 11:59 AM. Reason: PPS
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you very much, Gentlemen, for your replies. It was the double S that fooled me (and I took German in High School, believe it or not!!).

The information helps very much.

Alex