Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Treasure Trove : The Looting of the Third Reich book

Article about: Just wondering; How many people have a copy of this book? I know that Snyder is regarded as a somewhat controversial figure in regards to selling Third Reich militaria, but the contents of t

Default Treasure Trove : The Looting of the Third Reich book

Just wondering; How many people have a copy of this book?

I know that Snyder is regarded as a somewhat controversial figure in regards to selling Third Reich militaria, but the contents of the book are solid in regards to the TR items in it, in so far as I can tell.

The copy I got was apparently the personal copy of Ed Schaefer, having been autographed by both Snyder and Haddock, which I thought was neat.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Treasure Trove : The Looting of the Third Reich book   Treasure Trove : The Looting of the Third Reich book  

Treasure Trove : The Looting of the Third Reich book  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Treasure Trove : The Looting of the Third Reich book
    P
    Many

?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Treasure Trove : The Looting of the Third Reich book  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

I'm a sucker for a signed militaria related book, so if I saw it then I would also add it to the bookshelf.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    I'm a sucker for a signed militaria related book, so if I saw it then I would also add it to the bookshelf.
    At the time I bought it on Amazon, I didn't realize it was signed or a copy of some uniqueness as the seller's description didn't mention it..was a nice surprise to open it and see the signatures and dedication and then realize, "Holy crap!"

One that I need to add to my collection.

I have Bill Shea's (Ruptured Duck) Three volume set of Captured War Trophies (Confessions of a Collectorholic) as well as the German War Booty Book by Thomas M. Johnson

An idea for the wife to get one for me and place it under our Christmas tree

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    One that I need to add to my collection.

I have Bill Shea's (Ruptured Duck) Three volume set of Captured War Trophies (Confessions of a Collectorholic) as well as the German War Booty Book by Thomas M. Johnson

An idea for the wife to get one for me and place it under our Christmas tree

Smitty
    I've been trying to see if any book I can find references a particular patter of silverware I purchased without much luck so far....so the fact I can't find it and the fact I haven't seen it widely sold anywhere leads me to believe it's likely legit....but I keep hoping some book I find will have a reference to the pattern in it. lol

Do any of the books you have reference silverware? If they do, I may need to pick copies up myself. I found my copy of Trove on Amazon when I bought it.

Dave

Dave,

You may want to try our Forum reference Library:

Art - Decor - Exotica of the Third Reich

There are 4 or 5 books on Third Reich tableware and silverware by James Yannes that may be of help to you.

You can also post images of the silverware you have in the appropriate section, and we can look to see if it is listed in the books

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Dave,

You may want to try our Forum reference Library:

Art - Decor - Exotica of the Third Reich

There are 4 or 5 books on Third Reich tableware and silverware by James Yannes that may be of help to you.

You can also post images of the silverware you have in the appropriate section, and we can look to see if it is listed in the books

Smitty
    I actually was in touch via email with James Yannes when I was researching this set.....he had never seen the pattern or the silversmith, but did say that the pattern was in the "predictable German style" and didn't see any major red flags with the set (and in his books even notes that what he has isn't necessarily intended to be all inclusive because of the sheer number of patterns and makers during the time period) even while he did shoot down another piece my husband had liked at a show as not being a legit piece.

The more interesting thing of it is that, while I know there are forgeries of the silver of the more well known figures in the TR like Hitler, Goering, etc, this particular pattern was one I couldn't find an example of *anywhere* except on one auction site that had received it on consignment from the son of a GI who shipped it back from overseas...my own research there was able to determine the GI they mentioned did serve with the unit mentioned in the auction and that it was possible (not able to confirm or certain but with some guesswork) he was in the location it mentioned having been retrieved from. While I know the fact I couldn't find other examples of it isn't indicative of anything, my way of thinking is that it makes it *less* likely it's forged or fake as it seems like there would be other pieces of it out there if that were the case as it's SS marked.

I did make a post in the page in the forum you mentioned, SS Silverware Set - Gustav Haegermann Hallmark and the only feedback I got was that someone considered it fake because (in their opinion) the only authentic silver were pieces that were embossed, which I feel is incorrect given the number of examples in Yannes's books and elsewhere that show many engraved pieces from across the Reich.