Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Trying to identify a german uniform button

Article about: Hello I am trying to identify this button that I've found in my father's WWII memorabilia box. On the reverse side is written: Assmann & Sohne Ludenscheid. My father was a navigator in t

?

Default Trying to identify a german uniform button

Hello
    I am trying to identify this button that I've found in my father's WWII memorabilia box.

On the reverse side is written: Assmann & Sohne Ludenscheid.

My father was a navigator in the RAF, flying out of Snaith, Yorkshire.

I have no idea how he would have come across this piece.

Thank you for reading my post, di2315

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Trying to identify a german uniform button
    P
    Many

DAI
    ?

hello
    Not 100% on this one however the hunting horn in Germany is the mark of the postal services hope this is of some help
    Best wishes
    Dai

Quote by DAI View Post
    hello
    Not 100% on this one however the hunting horn in Germany is the mark of the postal services hope this is of some help
    Best wishes
    Dai
    I agree. The horn is a very common postal service symbol throughout Europe in that configuration even in UK the "Post horn" is a feature (see the old fashioned GPO cap badge - no longer worn) but the British post horn is straight not curled.

Also please don't use a picture hosting platform as it will disappear and future readers of this thread will not be able to see it thus making the thread less helpful (I have saved and add it on your behalf).

Regards

Mark

GPO cap badge

Unidentified button
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

It is definitely a uniform button from the German post office. However, it is not from the time of the Weimar Republic or the TR. In that time, the buttons had an imperial eagle, not a post horn.

Quote by NSDAP Sammler View Post
    It is definitely a uniform button from the German post office. However, it is not from the time of the Weimar Republic or the TR. In that time, the buttons had an imperial eagle, not a post horn.
    There were also variations depending on the area of Germany being covered (no country wide common uniform). I'm not sure when this was used but I haven't found a similar example in this semi sheen metal. Post 1945 many of the post office uniform buttons were flatter and not this domed type.

?

Hello
    According to this website, this is a button from the Federal Post Office / postal system of the Federal Republic of Germany after 1945.
    Look:
    Knopfsammler
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Trying to identify a german uniform button   Trying to identify a german uniform button  

Yep, that's what I figured but I was not in a position to show evidence!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."