Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unit History and Order of Battle

Article about: For many years, I have owned a super clean Police M35 helmet marked with the unit Pol 22 hand written on the liner. It is also reissued as the original owner's name in the liner is scratched

Default Unit History and Order of Battle

For many years, I have owned a super clean Police M35 helmet marked with the unit Pol 22 hand written on the liner. It is also reissued as the original owner's name in the liner is scratched out and the new owner's name written in. I was wondering if anyone can please give me information on this unit as I have not had any success on internet search. Thank you in advance
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unit History and Order of Battle
    P
    Many

i wonder if this perhaps refers to Reserve-Polizeibataillon 22, which was raised in Latvia in 1942.

The name of Schumer in the helmet indicates the owner was a German and I doubt there would have been anyway this helmet worked it's way west to be brought back by an American GI. thanks for the reply.
    BOB

Although Reserve-Polizeibataillon 22 was raised in Latvia of course the cadre were German speaking. But sadly with collecting, the story of an item can get lost as it moves through many owners.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Although Reserve-Polizeibataillon 22 was raised in Latvia of course the cadre were German speaking. But sadly with collecting, the story of an item can get lost as it moves through many owners.
    Very true. I directly bought this from the vet. As was so often the case, he was unsure where he obtained it.
    BOB

Polizei-Btl 22 was raised in October 1939 in Schneidemühl and moved to the Warthegau where it took part in security tasks in the rear area. It stayed in Torun until July 1940 where it took part in guarding and watching over Polish prisoners, hostages and Jews who were held in the fortresses of the town.
    It went back to Stettin in July 1940 and was reorganised, a process which took until September 1941. From there it went to Latvia and stayed there until January 1942 conducting coastal surveillance tasks. However, the different Kompanien conducted different tasks - 1./Pol.Btl 22 were used for executions at Saldus, Liepaja & Kuldiga as well as other places under the command of SchPDA Libau. 3./Pol.Btl 22 supported the SD's anti-Jewish 'action' against the Riga Ghetto which culminated in the Rumbula massacre from 30/11 to 08/12 1941.
    Due to the problems at the front in the beginning of 1942 the whole of Pol.Btl 22 were moved to the front line in the area of 16.Armee as reinforcement for Pol.Rgt 'Nord' which was engaged south of Lake Ilmen. It was attached to 81.Inf.Div and then 18.Inf.Div.

It is believed that Pol.Btl 22 went back to Latvia around May 1942, having suffered heavy losses, where it underwent a major reorganisation until November 1942.

(Source: Ordnungspolizei Vol 1: Encyclopedia of the German Police Battalions September 1939 to July 1942 by Massimo Arico)

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    Polizei-Btl 22 was raised in October 1939 in Schneidemühl and moved to the Warthegau where it took part in security tasks in the rear area. It stayed in Torun until July 1940 where it took part in guarding and watching over Polish prisoners, hostages and Jews who were held in the fortresses of the town.
    It went back to Stettin in July 1940 and was reorganised, a process which took until September 1941. From there it went to Latvia and stayed there until January 1942 conducting coastal surveillance tasks. However, the different Kompanien conducted different tasks - 1./Pol.Btl 22 were used for executions at Saldus, Liepaja & Kuldiga as well as other places under the command of SchPDA Libau. 3./Pol.Btl 22 supported the SD's anti-Jewish 'action' against the Riga Ghetto which culminated in the Rumbula massacre from 30/11 to 08/12 1941.
    Due to the problems at the front in the beginning of 1942 the whole of Pol.Btl 22 were moved to the front line in the area of 16.Armee as reinforcement for Pol.Rgt 'Nord' which was engaged south of Lake Ilmen. It was attached to 81.Inf.Div and then 18.Inf.Div.

It is believed that Pol.Btl 22 went back to Latvia around May 1942, having suffered heavy losses, where it underwent a major reorganisation until November 1942.

(Source: Ordnungspolizei Vol 1: Encyclopedia of the German Police Battalions September 1939 to July 1942 by Massimo Arico)
    Thank you for the very detailed response. Most likely the owner of this helmet was involved in some very nasty business.
    BOB