Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Verlustlisten/named individual - seeking mor information

Article about: Hi folks, A few years back, a college friend sent me the awards displayed in the attached photo. I did not get much information about the recipient Adolf Neimke. I was told he married into t

Default Verlustlisten/named individual - seeking mor information

Hi folks, A few years back, a college friend sent me the awards displayed in the attached photo. I did not get much information about the recipient Adolf Neimke. I was told he married into their family. They had few details but identified him as being from Bremen and that he had been wounded in one arm during WW1. He also served during WWII. By chance, I found this listing on a German genealogy site. It listed page 27630 from Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg;

Neimke, Adolf Utffz. 17.10. Bremen L.v.,b.d. Tr

slightly wounded
    lvbdTr.

It confirms his WWI service, wound, and his city of origin as Bremen. Any chance we could locate his WWII records? Note that he also received a Rumanian long service award. Thanks for any help. Neil

Verlustlisten/named individual - seeking mor information

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verlustlisten/named individual - seeking mor information
    P
    Many

To get his WW2 records you will need his date of birth and then contact the Bundesarchiv to see if a) they have anything, and b) whether they will release it to you as you're not next of kin. Other than the 'Gefallen' cards, WW2 German service records are not in the public domain.

Thank you for that information. Is there a site that includes memorial cards? If so, and they need some additional data, I have a few cards myself. NH

Ancestry has 2.4m period German KIA cards - not memorial cards.

These are the people to contact, As stated above, whether they will release it to you as you're not next of kin is another matter. I remember reading somewhere that the person concerned has to be either 115 years old (dead, obviously), or have been dead for more than 15 years before they will release such documents to people who are not the original subject of the enquiry.

Bundesarchiv Internet - Berlin-Reinickendorf

^Thanks so much. I believe the person in question was born near the turn of the century and so that has now been 120 years. I will ask my friend when he passed. It was more than 15 years ago though I'm sure. Neil

You would certainly need either his date of birth, or his date of passing before they would release that information to you. I used them a couple of years ago, but the record I was looking for was not available, presumably destroyed in the war, as it was regarding a person from East Prussia which came under heavy British and Soviet bombardment.