Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Wanting to know if there are any records about a specific Panther Tank

Article about: Found this cool Maintenance record book for Panzerkampfwagen Panther, Fahrgestell Nr 155056 Any factory records, etc that might tell me something about this particular tank? Any help is grea

Default Wanting to know if there are any records about a specific Panther Tank

Found this cool Maintenance record book for Panzerkampfwagen Panther, Fahrgestell Nr 155056
    Any factory records, etc that might tell me something about this particular tank?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wanting to know if there are any records about a specific Panther Tank
    P
    Many

Thats a VERY nice thing to have, i would love to own anything Panther related.

I found a list online which lists know Panthers based on their Fahrgestellnummer, but it does not have your Example, it has:

155020 -Dez. 1943 I./Pz.Rgt. 11 z. Zt. bei 8. Pz.Div. 1.4.1944 -
    155025 -Dez. 1943 I./SS-Pz.Rgt. 9 9. SS-Pz.Div. 1.4.1944 -
    155032 -Dez. 1943 I./Pz.Rgt. 11 z. Zt. bei 8. Pz.Div. 1.4.1944 -

They where all Panther A´s, and 2 of 3 went to the 8. Pz.Div. so i would say that there is a reasonable chance it was part of that very Division? Nothing certain though.

Source: Produktionsjahr 43

Thanks Adravor for the info and the link to the website.

The vet who grabbed this was a tank commander in the 3rd armored division and fought in Normandy, Ardennes and into Germany till the surrender. Being a vehicle specific maintenance record book it would undoubtedly have stayed with the individual tank and been souvenired onsite. I can certainly understand how a Sherman tank commander would want to see the inside of an adversarial weapon as unknown as a Panther tank (speculation on my part)

I clicked around this Panther website and found another listing of chassis serial numbers (below) and it just missed my 155056 number but has almost every serial number around it! Cool to note that number 155055 (right before my number) was assigned to the 9th SS Panzer and when they first started getting Panthers they were in Russia but rushed to Northern France after D-Day and stayed in the Western front till the end.

All the others in this list were in the 8th Panzer division. I looked at the history of the 8th and it had permanently moved to the Eastern front before the time it was receiving Panthers. So, there might be a chance my Tank #56 would have been with the 9th SS after all since the vet was in Normandy and all following western campaigns.

I'll keep looking around and see what turns up.

Last edited by Long Shot; 12-22-2020 at 03:53 PM.

I would love that book too, what a find!

Any more pictures of it?

Hopefully I will have some original Panther parts coming soon..