Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Books with complete list of all Heros of the Soviet Union.

Article about: by Ed_Haynes According to the "Red Bible" (McDaniel and Schmitt): HSU -- 11,660 HSU II - 141 (+?) HSU III - 5 HSU IV - 2 Hi Ed, thank you for these totals. As per the number listed

Default Re: Books with complete list of all Heros of the Soviet Union.

Quote by Ed_Haynes View Post
    According to the "Red Bible" (McDaniel and Schmitt):

HSU -- 11,660
    HSU II - 141 (+?)
    HSU III - 5
    HSU IV - 2
    Hi Ed, thank you for these totals. As per the number listed, I am assuming these are only for those awarded in WWII?

Just late yesterday, a nice guy on another site who is a great help to people, gave me a link to a site advertising a book published by Osprey-Elite-I forget the Authors name but, he gave a similar total of HotSU recipients - only the WWII recipients-at 11,633.

The breakdowns are as such:

Infantry: 8,447 w/ 44 as double recipients.
    Aviation: 2,332 w/ 61 double recipients.
    Navy: 513 w/ 7 double recipients.
    Anti-Aircraft Defense: 92 w/ 1 double recipient.
    The Russian website someone pointed me to has even more and different numbers. However, that site lists every recipient from every catagory starting with the Winter War-going up through Afghansitan, China, Korea etx ets as well as for Exploration of the Ocer the Polar Regions as well as in Space-and also covers disasters like Chernobyl, and also the Putsch of 1991. However, their numbers are confusing for the most part-and do not chime with other numbers they list.

For simplicities and (my) sake ill list only the numbers they give for WWII awardees.

This site has them at 11, 739 HotSU in WWII. This number changes once again later on and I don't know why?

3,051 were awarded posthumously.

82 of that number were revoked for some reason?

107 were awarded twice in WWII. Of those, 7 were posthumously awarded.

Of the grand total listed above-3 were awarded three times-and all were awarded to men fighting the Japanese after Germany "left-the-building."

I am not fully understanding the following total because it's less than the 107 reported as being awarded twice. However, this new number suggests 88 were awarded twice and of those, 17 were posthumously awarded. Apparently 6 of the awards that were "revoked" for some reason?

During the Winter War, (War with Finland) 416 were awarded, 97 of those were posthumously awarded, 1 was awarded twice and 4 were abolished for some reason?

Still another different total the same site gave was, 11,571 awarded in WWII w/ 2,934 of them awarded posthumously.

107 awarded twice (at least that number stays the same) & 7 of those double awardees were posthumous awards. 3 of those 107 were triple awardees.

reakdowns b year:

1941: 127 awarded 35 of those were aposthumous awards.

1942: 393 were awarded w/ 145 of those to those killed in action.

1943: 2,500 awarded 598 were posthumous.

1944: 3,548/976.

1945: 4,584/1,106.

1946-1948: 450/75.

Still yet more differing numbers. 12,861 awarded to individuals and 13 to Cities. *6 of these were apparently revoked for some im sure bizzare reason. from the number-some 3,266 were awarded posthumously. Appx 1 in 4.
    Of the final totals-95 were awarded to Women, 49 were posthumous awards. 1 woman recieved the award twice.

44 were awarded to Foreigners/10 were posthumous.

11 were also awarded the Gold Hammer and Sickle.

4 of them were also awarded the Order of Glory.

I have no idea what nubers to believe ;-)

I left off the more modern recipients and those for science-research,disaster help, exploration spying, fighting Terrorists, Bandits etc-as well as any other gobbeldygook that was listed.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Books with complete list of all Heros of the Soviet Union.
    P
    Many

Ed_Haynes
    ?

The problem is that you need to count all recipients (domestic and foreign) up through the collapse/destruction of the Soviet Union.

I suspect the "Heroes" website does this pretty well (better than the "Red Bible" or that pretty, good but thin Osprey piece). I just have a hard time poking my way through linguistically. Sorry. Someplace in teh chaos that is my life, I have the revenavt ABEPC volume (not at hand jiust now).

Many Western writers seem to think the world and the Soviet Union ended with their victory in the Great Patriotic War. Nonsense!

Quote by Ed_Haynes View Post
    The problem is that you need to count all recipients (domestic and foreign) up through the collapse/destruction of the Soviet Union.

I suspect the "Heroes" website does this pretty well (better than the "Red Bible" or that pretty, good but thin Osprey piece). I just have a hard time poking my way through linguistically. Sorry. Someplace in teh chaos that is my life, I have the revenavt ABEPC volume (not at hand jiust now).

Many Western writers seem to think the world and the Soviet Union ended with their victory in the Great Patriotic War. Nonsense!
    Hi Ed, same thing for me here. If an award was awarded-it needs to include for all time periods-much like the VC, GC, MoH, PLM etc

Just checking in to see if anyone has learned of a new book or a new website dealing with these HOtSU?

My needs for now are that I only need those who were awarded this award during WWII. If there is anything new? ill be most appreciative to know about it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2