Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red Star Under the Baltic

Article about: I'm half way through reading this graphic memoir of a Soviet Submariner during his years at sea in the Baltic in WW2. If you enjoy reading about the tension and danger of life on board warti

Default Red Star Under the Baltic

I'm half way through reading this graphic memoir of a Soviet Submariner during his years at sea in the Baltic in WW2.

If you enjoy reading about the tension and danger of life on board wartime Subs you will like this book.

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Red Star Under the Baltic  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Star Under the Baltic
    P
    Many

A really good read indeed. The story is so exciting that it should be made into a good movie!

I agree!

Problem is the American cinema goers wont be interested in a war film about Soviets so the box office revenue wont be good.

There are so many superb Russian and Ukrainian war films that are virtually unknown in the US... such a shame

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

I completely agree!!!

Indeed, a very interesting and recommendable book.
    The Soviet version of 'Das Boot'

I saw this post and decided to order one myself the other day.

Edit: It just arrived!
    Last edited by PapaStalin1943; 02-04-2020 at 03:34 AM.

Enjoy!!

Just read the book again. It stays interesting and captivating.
    In the meantime I also managed to get a medalbar from Ivan Alekseevich Sidorov, senior engine-room mechanic on the L-21 submarine (he is mentioned on page 190 in this book "Red star under the Baltic". Please not that the Nakhimov medal is a fake and which I removed from this bar (the original Nakhimov belonging to Ivan Sidorov is now in the collection of a US based collector - I hope to reunite that Nakhimov with this bar again in the future if the collector is wiling to sell it)

The citation for the Ushakov medalL

"He exhibited exceptional endurance and resilience during both the period of preparation for the combat mission and the combat mission against the German invaders on the submarine “L-21”. He excellently operated his battle station - the right diesel engine of the submarine - and ensured its impeccable operations. On many occasions, he worked two shifts in a row and still executed all his tasks properly, which ensured accomplishment of the combat objectives. In this combat tour, the submarine sunk an enemy transport and laid a mine field on the enemy sea transport routes. He deserves a state award - “USHAKOV” medal.

Commander of the submarine “L-21”
    Commander signature /A.OREL/
    12 January 1945"

Aleksander Orel, who signed the citation is shown in the book in the picture gallery (pic no. 19).

Marcel,

What an excellent group! And to find a photo and mention of the individual in a book. Here in the west! Fantastic!

Gerry C.

From the cool High Plains of the Midwest USA

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast