Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Russian made movies about the war

Article about: This morning I watched "Convoy 48", or "Koridor bessmertiya" as it's called in Russian and it was yet another great movie out of Russia about the Great Patriotic War. Ins

Default Russian made movies about the war

This morning I watched "Convoy 48", or "Koridor bessmertiya" as it's called in Russian and it was yet another great movie out of Russia about the Great Patriotic War. Instead of the typical trenchline attacks this one deals about the railway lifeline to Leningrad. Really worth watching

This made me decide to make a short list here of good Russian movies about the war. Perhaps some get inspired to watch these as well or maybe even some of you have more good titles to add to the list.

So some which in my eyes are worth watching are (and I start with the well known obvious ones):

- Leningrad 2009 (or "Attack on Leningrad" as it is sometimes called)
    - Brest Fortress or Brestskaya krepost 2010
    - Stalingrad 2013
    - Battle for Sevastopol or Bitva za Sevastopol 2015 (about Lyudmila Pavlichenko)
    - Battle for Moscow or 28 panfilovtsev 2016
    - Tankers or Nesokrushimyy 2018 (about a KV1 tank crew)
    - Road to Berlin or Doroga na Berlin 2015
    - Saving Leningrad 2019 (or "Battle for Leningrad" - which is about barge 752 crossing Lake Ladoga)
    - The attackers or Istrebiteli, series 2013
    - The attackers - The last fight or Istrebiteli - Posledniy boy, series 2015 (2nd and final season of this great mini series)
    - T34 2018 (a bit overdone and too Hollywood like for my taste)
    - Convoy 48 or Koridor bessmertiya 2019 (highly recommendable!)

I like it in such movies when attention is paid to making uniforms, gear, awards etc look authentic and in general the abovementioned fit in that catagory.
    As said, hopefully this list is useful to some and feel free to add more titles

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Russian made movies about the war
    P
    Many

And two I wanna mention, but which are not released yet and thus which I haven't seen but could be interesting (both based on true events):

- Kalashnikov 2020, about Mikhail Timofeevich Kalashnikov
    - Soviet fighter pilot Litvyak 2020, about female pilot ace Lydia Litvyak

Thank you for the list.

A lot of low budget low profile war films now include re-enactor groups who’s kit is A1....but, sadly, they struggle with acting, accents and weight loss......I’ve watched hours of wartime footage and never seen a “full figured” German jumper.

Either way, the films are always worth a watch.

Quote by Composite View Post
    Thank you for the list.

A lot of low budget low profile war films now include re-enactor groups who’s kit is A1....but, sadly, they struggle with acting, accents and weight loss......I’ve watched hours of wartime footage and never seen a “full figured” German jumper.

Either way, the films are always worth a watch.
    I agree that there are many of the re-enactor movies, some which are really bad. Like f.e. My honor was loyalty with overweight Italian SS re-enactors. Completely ridiculous.

All films mentioned are excellent
    ‘Come and See’ and ‘The Dawns Here are Quiet’ (both the 1972 and 2015) also the ‘Night Swallows’ tv series is superb!
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

Sutjeska (1969)
    Vosem Panfilovtsev - The 28 Heroes (2016)
    The Bomber - Ballada o Bombere (2011)
    Torpedonostsy (1983)

?

"Come and see" is a must see. (no pun intended!)

?

Thanks for posting this excellent list. I saw Stalingrad 2013 in the theater with my son and was blown away by the effects. For some reason they showed the film in my local multiplex theater on the large RPX screen with crazy digital sound and in 3D no less. The premium large screens are usually reserved for whatever blockbuster just came out. We were the only ones in the theater that day, I guess no one was interested in seeing a 3D Russian movie with subtitles. Needless to say it was mind blowing !

TWS
    ?

Currently working through the Russian series "Life and Fate" based on Vasily Grossman's novel. Finished up episode 4 of 12 episodes and based on that I could say it's worth watching.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Thanks all for your contributions!!

I heard about "Life and Fate" series about Vasily Grossman. Was already interested so thanks for the heads up!
    The "Nightswallows" series I have on DVD box but it was rather disappointing. Storyline is ok but both acting and also the uniforms, gear, medals etc all are typical late Soviet era. That left kind of a bad impression.

Will check all others mentioned

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast