MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck

Article about: This fascinating Sturmovik is tucked away on the wartime Lancaster bomber airfield of RAF Wickenby, Lincolnshire. The wartime paint can still be seen on the wheel hubs. Notice the armoured c

Default Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck

This fascinating Sturmovik is tucked away on the wartime Lancaster bomber airfield of RAF Wickenby, Lincolnshire.

The wartime paint can still be seen on the wheel hubs. Notice the armoured cockpit that gave the aircraft its nickname 'The Flying Tank'

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck   Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck  

Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck   Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck
    P
    Many

more...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck   Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck  

Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

last lot of photos

Great find!! You should buy it. Ultimate collectors piece

I said exactly the same thing to a friend of mine who restores WW2 vehicles! He is really tempted

No one seems to know how the aircraft ended up on a wartime airfield in Lincolnshire, that could be an interesting story!

Nick

Interesting piece.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Nick:
    I'm stunned. It is an incredible find.
    I imagine even if it was just that piece of the plane's fuselage, repainted in its original color with a red star, mounted on a pedestal!
    Santi

Yes that would look awesome! Then it could be my 'Gate Guard' in front of my house!

Nick

Intriguing.
    I'll bet it's presence there is something to do with "evaluation trials" at some point or maybe some post war aviation enthusiast project.

Is that the remains of the Mikulin V12 engine lying upside down? We have seen engines in worse condition restored to function.

Do you reckon that there is enough of the aircraft left to allow a restoration to at least a static whole machine? I think I can see at least part of one wing in the background.

It would surely be a worthy project as I believe there are hardly any in flying condition now (?2 maybe).

Let us know if you learn any more!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-02-2020 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Apparently there used to be two Il-2's in that location and one has been taken away, presumably to be restored.

This one could have been stripped of parts for that project.

If I find any further info I will let you know

Nick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast