Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

82nd Airborne member

Article about: Need some help here. There is a potential grouping for a member of the 82nd Airborne. Trying to figure out when and where he might of fought (D-Day?) All I have is the Soldiers name. John J

MAP
    ?

Default 82nd Airborne member

Need some help here. There is a potential grouping for a member of the 82nd Airborne. Trying to figure out when and where he might of fought (D-Day?)

All I have is the Soldiers name. John J Pappas

I found two in the NARA database. One from Manchester New Hampshire and one from Plymouth Mass.

Can anyone help?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Map,

It might be worth trying to get both records from NARA.. I didn't find anything additional from what you found, I will see what else I may find.. Manchester NH and Plymouth Mass are geographically quite close to each other..

Growing up in New Hampshire right on the Mass/NH border I know the area well.

I will see what I can dig up.. Do you have any pictures of the grouping? 82nd groupings are nice since they had jumps in Italy as well as Normandy and Holland...

Smitty

MAP
    ?

Thanks Smitty!!!

Found out he was in the 505th Para. But we don't know when he joined thus what battles he was in. That is really all we want to know. Serial number 31374836. Enlisted in 43. But not sure when he joined the unit

http://www.usairborne.be/Roster/ROSTER-505PIR.pdf

NARA (A fellow Greek )

82nd Airborne member
    Last edited by MAP; 09-07-2018 at 06:17 PM.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

It lists him as being in the 505th PIR Service Company.

Does anyone know what a "Service Companys" role in the unit was?

The 505 fought in D-Day, Market Garden and the Bulge but as this guy enlisted in March of 43, I'm not sure when he would have been inserted into the 505th. He would have needed to go through basic training then paratrooper training. I assume that would take many months but sure he would have been ready by June 44 for D-Day. BTW the 505th was formed in 42 and fought in Sicily and Salerno in '43

MAP
    ?

So a Service Company was a support unit responsible for the repair and replacement of equipment. Still wonder if he would have been jump qualified. And would assume a Para unit would not have any heavy equipment so what would the repair and replace?

they would have been based in the UK at some stage, i know the 506th were based in Nottingham there is a list there of each individual at the memorial, if we can find out where they were based such list may exist at that place too.

MAP
    ?

Thanks!

The key was to see what battle's he may have participated in. But as the PDF link above said he was in the Service Unit, he was probably just in a supporting roll.

Ok, the 506 did D-Day and Market Garden i assume this division did the very same, if it exists and his name is there he was involved.

Sorry it was the 508th in Nottingham

508 pir in Nottingham 1944

MAP
    ?

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Ok, the 506 did D-Day and Market Garden i assume this division did the very same, if it exists and his name is there he was involved.

Sorry it was the 508th in Nottingham

508 pir in Nottingham 1944
    Yes, the 505th was in Sicily, Salerno, D-Day, Market Garden and the Bulge. They saw it ALL and is a highly decorated unit. But this guy was in a support unit. Not taking ANYTHING away from him but I doubt he saw actual combat is the Service Unit.

That said. This grouping includes a Jump Jacket with jump wings with a Star so maybe he did participate in some battle. Still not sure what a service unit in a PIR would actually do. No heavy equipment.

MAP,

A service company of a Parachute Infantry Regiment is one that has many duties. Parachute maintenance which includes riggers which would be repairing chutes and equipment as well as modifying uniforms for paratroopers, such as adding cargo pockets to sleeves, reinforcing jump trousers in the knees and other duties. The riggers would also construct pouches for extra ammunition, hand grenades etc.

Initially the members of a parachute service company are fighters just like the infantry paratroopers. They will jump with the unit and in many cases fight along side the infantry until an area is secure and they can begin service operations in support of future combat action. Once an area has been secured for example, many of the parachutes used in a drop were discarded and the service company would retrieve as many chutes as possible and these would be inspected, repaired and repacked for once again future airborne operations.

Not surprising that the jump jacket has jump wings with a star, so this indicates a combat jump, now which one will most likely be revealed in the 505th manifest or unit history. (Sorry I thought I had 505th, I have the 504th)..

Anyway here is a 1942 War Department Table of Organization for an Infantry Parachute Service Company. This details all the information regarding personnel, weapons and vehicles assigned as well as rank and duty position. You will see many different non-infantry jobs in the service company.

I also have attached the entire Table and Organization for a parachute infantry regiment which includes medical detachment, headquarters and headquarters company, service company, infantry parachute battalion and all the personnel and weapons and equipment authorized each unit.

Hope this helps you and answers your question about the duties of a Service Company of an Airborne unit..

Smitty
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast