Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Being a pain again sorry!

Article about: Hey gents sorry to be a royal pain in the rectum, I'm having a problem reading my grandads records, it's the joint up writing battering my head. I need to know what unit my grandad was in, I

Default Being a pain again sorry!

Hey gents sorry to be a royal pain in the rectum, I'm having a problem reading my grandads records, it's the joint up writing battering my head. I need to know what unit my grandad was in, I think it says 222 light anti air battery, but I'm not sure and its doing my head In lol. Can one of you kind gents please have a butchers and tell me what you see and what you know about that unit? Again sorry to be a pain, and beleve me I really appreciate it. Cheers!

Default Re: Being a pain again sorry!

2nd Anti-Aircraft Division: HQ RAF Station, Hucknall, Nottinghamshire (Raised 1 September 1936) - Northern Command
    - 32nd (Midland) Anti-Aircraft Brigade: Normanton House, Derby - West Riding Area, Northern Command
    -- 68th (North Midland) Anti-Aircraft Regiment, R.A. (T.A.) - West Riding Area, Northern Command
    HQ, 200th, >>>222nd (Derby) Btys: Derby<<<
    276th, 277th Btys: Nottingham

don't know if this makes sense, but i read the same as you and i find this unit subordinated as above.
    i'm not an expert, and anyone knowing more about this can certainly chime in if i have not read the subordination correctly.

the second page you posted has "222 LAA Bty" written quite clearly.

however, i find this information not specified as "Light" anti-aircraft but as "anti-aircraft". i'm going to keep looking but maybe the above is the correct unit.

or...

Independent Light Anti-Aircraft Batteries

52nd Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, R.A. (T.A.) - West Riding Area, Northern Command
    HQ, 135th Tp: Thorncliffe
    71st Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, R.A. (T.A.) - Southern Area, Southern Command
    HQ: Fareham
    84th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, R.A. (T.A.) - Southern Area, Southern Command
    HQ: Salisbury
    218th Tp: Parton
    219th Tp: Boscombe Down
    220th Tp: Worthy Down
    221st Tp: Boscombe Down

>>>222nd Tp: Middle Wallop<<<

85th Light Anti-Aircraft Battery, R.A. (T.A.) - South-Western Area, Southern Command
    223rd Tp: Kemble Park
    224th Tp: Hullavington
    225th Tp: Colerne...

hard to say. might help to know where he was based and even his name.

Hey, thanks for your response, his name was William abraham and I'm not sure where he was based. His medals have the 8th army bar and I also have his medical cards which say he was blown up in Greece by a teller mine, but I can't find anything on google about an 8th army 222nd LAA battery. I think you may be right by suggesting TA forces as there's a few sheets also with TA headings. Thanks again.