Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens )

Article about: Hi all, Prompted by some family photographs I recently found, I thought I'd do a thread on the oft forgotten ( but so very much needed and appreciated ) civilian protection services here in

Default Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens )

Hi all,
    Prompted by some family photographs I recently found, I thought I'd do a thread on the oft forgotten ( but so very much appreciated but thankfully not needed ) civilian protection services here in Australia during world war 2.

More on my family connection later on, but firstly we probably all know a lot of the role of the services in London and the rest of the UK - but here in Australia, we answered the call at the outbreak of the European war and realised the possible need for such protection locally - even though the war in our region was still a while away.

This then was the situation "downunder".....

Air Raid Precautions organisations were established in each State of Australia during WW2 and their structure varied from State to State.

In 1939 all of the states were waiting on the release of the National Security Regulations which was part of the documentation supporting the Commonwealth War Book which documented Civil Defense planning arrangements. Air Raid Precautions in Queensland, South Australia, Victoria and Tasmania were run by the Civil Defence organisation whilst in New South Wales it was run by the National Emergency Services organisation.

The National Emergency Services NSW (NES) helped to protect, educate and provide aid on the home front and by the end of World War II 115,418 people had volunteered with the organisation. Nearly half of these volunteers were enrolled as wardens.

During the War, in the greater Sydney area, there were 464 air raid sirens, 70,000 feet (21,336 m) of trench shelters, 36,000 feet (10,972 m) of covered trenches and 139 pillbox air raid shelters. The civil defense hierarchy was established around local government areas, so each municipality or shire became an ‘Area’ controlled by a Chief Warden, assisted by volunteer staff.
    The NES worked closely with first aid services, local fire brigades and the military; they trained wardens; and maintained air raid sirens and air raid and trench shelters. Many of the four- and six-foot deep “zig zag” anti-aircraft trenches that were dug into parks and other open spaces, including school playgrounds, were constructed by local NES volunteers.

Arm bands, tin hats and gas masks were issued to all local wardens. The first training of wardens was on 11 September 1939, just over a week after war was declared on Germany.

Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens )

Wardens were expected to be on call day and night. They monitored the blackouts, oversaw practice evacuation drills to air raid shelters, and staffed the NES Area Control Centre. The Area Control Centre, which was staffed 24/7, was responsible for receiving damage reports from wardens and coordinating with the police, fire brigade, and gas and electricity companies.

Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens ) duty board Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens ) guidelines for wardens Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens ) warden badge
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

My Grandfather was an area warden, one of five allocated to the central district of Sydney city – an area of 4 city blocks to be maintained.

Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens ) The "team"

Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens ) My grandfather - and my father ( 6yrs old )

Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens ) His wardens certificate ( excuse my censoring )

Civilian Protection Services WW2 ( Air raid wardens ) rescue training in the city ( grandad is hauling the rope )
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Really interesting read and even better having a direct family link, thanks for sharing with us.

Kind regards,

Will.