Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

commemorative gift for Allied forces

Article about: Hi folks got this piece from a widow of a former soldier, in her words " I am pleased it has found a good home and thought you might be interested in a little more information about it'

Default commemorative gift for Allied forces

Hi folks got this piece from a widow of a former soldier, in her words
    " I am pleased it has found a good home and thought you might be interested in a little more information about it's history.

My late husband was a soldier in the Welsh Guards towards the end of the last war and was sent to Holland, in his tank, with the British Expeditionary Force, to clear any remaining Nazi resistance. He reached a town called Enschede on the German border and assisted with their Liberation there. After the war he was invited back to this town for several memorial ceremonies of that event where he made new friendships with several Dutch families. The boxes were apparently presented to the veterans and their hosts around that time.

I am hoping to find out what was in the box - possibly cigarettes or cigars which were regularly issued to soldiers during the war. It has been a very useful box since.

it is a nice piece which looks like something from a gift shop, any one else seen one of these.

commemorative gift for Allied forcescommemorative gift for Allied forcescommemorative gift for Allied forcescommemorative gift for Allied forces

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Hi folks got this piece from a widow of a former soldier, in her words
    " I am pleased it has found a good home and thought you might be interested in a little more information about it's history."
    Dear greatwhite,

A very honorable compliment! Such a piece and its history behind shows that history doesn't take place in a vacuum. Nor come our objects of collection out of a vacuum. Thank you for showing!

I have just looked for the museum in Best, NL, very interesting: Bevrijdende Vleugels (WINGS OF LIBERATION): Bevrijdendevleugels.com

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 09-16-2017 at 06:59 PM.
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Hi thanks, i guess many of these were given as gifts and the widow has kept it for many years, as you say a honorable gift for all concerned, i just dont know what to put in it now.

An interesting item, from the museum gift shop but great they were handed out to the veterans on their visit.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Hi thanks, i guess many of these were given as gifts and the widow has kept it for many years, as you say a honorable gift for all concerned, i just dont know what to put in it now.
    Perhaps a small collection of badges/insignia from the campaign in the Nederlands, obviously well known were the actions of the airborne forces of both Britain and the US as well as the Poles and others, but lets not forget the ground forces, the armoured spearhead that tried to relieve the airborne forces at Arnheim and the accompanying infantry etc.

I lived in the Nederlands for a few years and visited many of the battle sites and museums but did not visit the one on the tin.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, great idea, the widow does state her husband was in a tank, i will look into this.

And I know what I will do together with my children tomorrow on Sunday: At the museum not very far away from us there is a commemoration day on Sept, 17 ('remember september') with presentations, reenactment etc. Dear greamtwhite, you have just presented it at the right time.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    In memory of my father who was in K-Einsatz, combat engagement, with the RAD in the Alps in 1945, of my grandfather who was with the IR 87 during campaign in France in 1940 and of my grand-uncle who served in the Gardegrenadierregiment Nr. 3 "Königin Elisabeth" and who was killed in action at Craonne, Chemin des Dames in France in 1917

Great, take some pictures.

Quote by Alter Musketier View Post
    And I know what I will do together with my children tomorrow on Sunday: At the museum not very far away from us there is a commemoration day on Sept, 17 ('remember september') with presentations, reenactment etc. Dear greamtwhite, you have just presented it at the right time.

With best wishes
    alter musketier
    Sounds great, pics please
    Regards,

Jerry

Here are a few pictures to give you a little impression. There are a lot of nice photos at the internet site of the museum too (of halftracks, Jeeps, a Glider etc. , those are not blurred like mine ).

The museum is very interesting and very advisable, there are 1:1 scale displays/dioramas starting with the German air attacks against the Netherlands in 1940, showing anyday live, resistance and collaboration under the German occupation, the operation Market Garden, air attack and air defence etc. And there is a great radio museum too.

When my children and I visited the location on September 17, "Remember September" took place with some US reenactment, Jeep and Dogde tours.

The entrance of the museum is not so easy to find. From the street you see a restaurant. Please look for the blue "Welcome" signboard. The halls of the museum are behind the restaurant.
    commemorative gift for Allied forcescommemorative gift for Allied forcescommemorative gift for Allied forces

Former Czechoslovak OT-810 built from 1958 and aged as "SKFZ 251"
    commemorative gift for Allied forces

commemorative gift for Allied forcescommemorative gift for Allied forcescommemorative gift for Allied forces

A Sleeping beauty? "After the battle"

commemorative gift for Allied forcescommemorative gift for Allied forces
    Last edited by Alter Musketier; 09-23-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast