Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help please! Missing Plaque

Article about: Hi Guys .Please can You let Me Know If You See this on Your travels?Missing from an office during building alterations.Thanks

?

Default Help please! Missing Plaque

Hi Guys .Please can You let Me Know If You See this on Your travels?Missing from an office during building alterations.Or if anyone knows any thing about the men themselves.A long shot I know butThanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help please! Missing Plaque  

Sad to say, but it is more than likely it ended up dumped in a skip with the rest of the rubble from the building work. It happens far too often these days. Maybe the owners of the office building will find the funds for a replacement?

Cheers,
    Steve

GUNNER RAYMOND HAROLD GEALL
    Service Number: 887905
    Regiment & Unit/Ship
    Royal Artillery
    391 Bty., 98 (The Surrey and Sussex Yeomanry) Field Regt.

Died 12 April 1945
    Age 24 years old.

If this was in the US I would say that it probably ended up at a scrap yard, over here scrap yards take your name address etc if there's any questions on the legality of scraping something someone brings in. Might be worth a shot to check any fairly local scrap businesses.

It’s such a shame when things like this happen, Where in the UK was this. (I assume it’s UK).

Quote by sargetom View Post
    If this was in the US I would say that it probably ended up at a scrap yard, over here scrap yards take your name address etc if there's any questions on the legality of scraping something someone brings in. Might be worth a shot to check any fairly local scrap businesses.
    It is the same in UK and scrap dealers can only pay into a bank account not cash, they have to keep a ledger of everything they take in but believe me it doesn't always work that way. Of course there are many case where the scrap has been altered by melting or burning to change the appearance. We have had many bronze , brass and copper war memorials vandalised for scrap which I feel is an assault on society as a whole. Do you use the term "Pikey" or TGB (don't ask) in the US? We were ordered some years ago to stop using the term TGB and some started to use the term "Stills" (because they are still TGB )

This doesn't look like bronze so maybe it did just get trashed by ignorant builders labourers.

I hope it turns up.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks Guys .BlackCat that’s awesome!! Thank You so much.Yes Guys I also fear it’s at the scrappy or went in the skip.It was in the office I work in in West Sussex UK. If it doesn’t turn up will look at a replacement.May also be in with a chance of a descendant perhaps to unveil it.

A shame if it got pinched. All history and context lost once things like this get removed. I hope it does get found and re-mounted.

Hello lew07,

I found the following which I just thought that you might like to view :

Hope that it is of some interest to you and other members, I did also find a Private R J Welsh who also lived in Bognor Regis could this be the same man ?

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

Andrzej Thank You very much.Yes there is a very good chance the R J Welsh You mention is the same man on the plaque.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast