MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

HMS Lancastria

Article about: Hi All After doing some family research and obtaining my grandfather's service records I have discovered that one was on the Lancastria when it was sunk at St Nazaire. Have found a few thing

Default HMS Lancastria

Hi All

After doing some family research and obtaining my grandfather's service records I have discovered that one was on the Lancastria when it was sunk at St Nazaire. Have found a few things about the sinking but wondering if anyone can recommend something to read or watch which I might find of interest?

Thanks

Dave

MAP
    ?

Dave,

A quick search showed some short YouTube documentaries. Here is the longest at 28 min

YouTube

And a book....(never read them but they have reviews)

https://www.amazon.com/Sinking-Lanca.../dp/0743259300
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Many thanks, that's a great help.

Hi Dave,
    There is a brilliant book on the fall of France, Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man by Hugh Sebag-Montefiore, Dunkirk: Fight to the Last Man: Amazon.co.uk: Hugh Sebag-Montefiore: 9780241972267: Books , it details most of the campaign in detail & there is a chapter regarding the Lancastria, which is not to well known, very tragic, I would highly recommend this book to you as I would to anyone wanting to study this part of the war.
    Regards
    Paul

Thanks Paul

I have found two books that are solely about the sinking on the Lancastria but the book you suggest looks very interesting as well. Added to my list to buy.

Dave