MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

HMS Plymouth - Last floating Falklands vet and 1980's time capsule.

Article about: Hi Guys, Many of you here in the U.K. will have heard of the imminent scrapping of the Type 12 Frigate HMS Plymouth. She played an important role in the Falklands War, surviving being bombed

Default HMS Plymouth - Last floating Falklands vet and 1980's time capsule.

Hi Guys,

Many of you here in the U.K. will have heard of the imminent scrapping of the Type 12 Frigate HMS Plymouth. She played an important role in the Falklands War, surviving being bombed and being the vessel on which the Argentines surrendered in 1982.

She was decomissioned in 1988, and since that time she has been a virtual time capsule, almost like the Marie Celeste, with things just put down and left by the crew. The ship was kept as a floating museum in a Naval dockyard, but hardly any visitors bothered visiting there, even at only £1.00 a go.

Attempts to save this historic ship for the nation, similar to HMS Belfast, failed in April this year and she has been sold for scrap abroad.

A terrible shame for a symbol of one of this countries greatest military achievements since the Second World War.

Here's an interesting slide show of this 'Ghost Ship'.

Inside the 1980s time capsule that is the Falklands War frigate HMS Plymouth - Telegraph

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

Default Re: HMS Plymouth - Last floating Falklands vet and 1980's time capsule.

Thanks for that Ned, wonderful stuff, interesting indeed.

Regards,

Andy.

Good Grief, Tudor Crisps!
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Thank you for posting this Ned. I agree with you, this is indeed a great shame. I was there (Birkenhead) a few years ago, and along with U-534 and the other boats, she made up quite a nice display. Pity that it has all gone or is about to. Even though the U-Boat story museum continues to receive visitors in its new location, what they have done to that submarine is a disgrace, and selling this Falklands era warship for scrap is yet another sad end to a once majestic vessel.

Regards,

Carl

Thanks Ned, I had not actually heard about this. What a shame.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

That is a bloody shame Ned very interesting virtual tour of the ship almost haunting the way it has been layed out as if the had all walked away from there posts while the ship was on duty.

Regards Mark K

?

Damn shame it was Falklands that inspired me to join the forces!!! 23 years later im still smiling with dodgy knees!!!..Cheers Terry.

what a crying shame i personally think if the moved it over to the Albert dock area i am pretty sure that it without doubt have more visitor's, same with the Uboat story for me, a lot of people in Liverpool cant understand why these magnificent pieces of history are put over in Birkenhead when the Albert dock "maritime museum" is in Liverpool which has thousands of visitors every week??? maybe there is something i dont know and someone could tell me, but after all that i still cant beleive why it is getting scrapped, a real shame,
    cheers Ronnie

I have seen her too when I went to see the U Boat. A sad sight seeing a warrior neglected like this

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem