Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How do i find more specific info on my Grandfather and his unit ?

Article about: Hello, I am trying to find out more info on my Grandfather, what exactly he did and actions he might have participated in. His name Wayne Clarence Doran. He was in the 10th Army Air force (C

?

Default How do i find more specific info on my Grandfather and his unit ?

Hello, I am trying to find out more info on my Grandfather, what exactly he did and actions he might have participated in. His name Wayne Clarence Doran. He was in the 10th Army Air force (C.B.I.), 81st Squadron, 12th Bombardment group. When he left the service he was a Sgt. I know he saw time in Africa, my family had a picture of him at the Sphynx. Most of his belongings where lost in the flood of 1972 on the U.S. east coast. I have a few patches, his Presidential unit citation, Good conduct medal, and a few photos and his unit Christmas card. He never talked a lot about his experiences, so my family knows very little of what he did. I am not even sure that he was on a bomber crew. He may have been ground crew, etc. I am dying to learn as much as i can about my Grandfather, i jhave just hit a rock wall, to say the least. Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated !!!!!!

Thanks!

Josh

Default Re: How do i find more specific info on my Grandfather and his unit ?

Hey, Josh. Maybe try the NARA. Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request
    Good luck!

Luke

?

Default Re: How do i find more specific info on my Grandfather and his unit ?

Hi Josh,
    Unfortunately, not much information online than what you already have. I would suggest sending away to NPRC for his records as Luke has already suggested. Hopefully they were not lost in the fire and they can provide you with more details of his service.

I would also suggest signing up for the Army Air Forces Forum ( ArmyAirForces) and posting a similar request in the 12th BG sub-forum (12th BG). Someone may be able to provide you with a roster or crew list identifying your grandfather's MOS.

Good luck!

Here is his enlistment record from NARA:

And here is the July 10th, 1941 edition of the Wellsboro Gazzete listing your grandfather in the July 1st Draft:

Finally, here is his military burial card: