Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Information on 70th Tank Battalion

Article about: Good afternoon, everyone. I'm doing some research on the Korean War and am trying to find more information on the 70th Tank Battalion, particularly interested in Company C. My great-uncle dr

Default Information on 70th Tank Battalion

Good afternoon, everyone. I'm doing some research on the Korean War and am trying to find more information on the 70th Tank Battalion, particularly interested in Company C. My great-uncle drove a tank in this company but passed away about 20 years ago so I can't ask him any questions. What battles did this company take part in? Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

I'm at work right now so I don't have my Korean War tank reference material handy but here is a link to the Korean War Project website..

If you have not seen this, you may be able to reach out to some folks on here. Many of them who have replied were in C Company 70th Tank Bn.

70th Tank Battalion - Medium and Heavy - Korean War Page 1

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Hi Smitty, thank you for your reply. I sent in a note on the Korean War website, perhaps it’s possible somebody who knew him will see it. Fingers crossed!

Here is some more information for you.

The Korean War Order of Battle Book by Gordon Rottman has some information about the 70th Tank Battalion but not extensive information.

A and C Companies were equipped with M4A3E8 Sherman tanks. These were known as the "Easy Eight Sherman's" This tank was equipped with a high velocity 76 mm gun and a heavier horizontal volute suspension. The heavy tank companies were now organized into four platoons of five tanks, plus the two company headquarters tanks, for a total of 22 tanks in each company.

C Company 70th Tank Battalion was part of Task Force Croft. TF Croft was formed by the 1st Cavalry Division on June 24, 1951 to conduct an attack along the Chorwon-Sibyon-Ni road. It encountered strong resistance and ultimately withdrew back to the Division lines where the Task Force was dissolved.

The TF consisted of the following units:

1st BN (-) 7th Cavalry Regiment
    4th Ranger Infantry Company (Airborne)
    Company C, 70th Tank Bn
    2 Batteries, 77th Field Arty Bn (105 mm Howitzer)
    1 Battery 82nd Field Arty Bn (105 mm Howitzer)
    Combat platoon and bomb disposal squad, 8th Engineer Combat Battalion.

Here is a link to the Center of Military History's website. They have some Korean War reference material as well.

The Korean War | U.S. Army Center of Military History

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Salocin,

Not sure if you have this information about the 70th Tank Battalion or not but:...

At the outbreak of the Korean War in June 1950, the 70th Heavy Tank Battalion was still performing its duties as a support unit for the Armor School at Fort Knox. The 70th was alerted for movement to San Francisco on 8 July and began preparations for deployment to Korea. The unit was severely understrength, both in terms of personnel and equipment. Some 250 men had to be transferred to the unit from other units on Fort Knox, from Fort Campbell, Kentucky and Fort Meade, Maryland. Additionally, the tanks underwent intensive maintenance and refit, receiving new track, replacement parts and, where parts could not be obtained normally, were even removed from display vehicles around the base. Some relatively new M4A3E8 Sherman tanks were supplied from Rock Island Arsenal and eventually delivered to the battalion when they reached Korea. Tactical training was conducted primarily at the platoon level, but still totaled only about 30 days by the time the battalion deployed.

The 70th embarked by rail on 17 July from Fort Knox, arriving at Camp Stoneman, California on 20 July. The battalion boarded the USNS General A. W. Brewster at Fort Mason, California on 23 July, with their vehicles and equipment loaded on separate cargo transport. With very brief port calls at Yokohama and Sasebo, Japan, the ship arrived at the port of Pusan, Korea on 7 August 1950. Their equipment transport did not arrive until 9 August. The battalion immediately set about unloading the tanks from the transport and reloading them on trains for Taegu. The 70th Heavy Tank Battalion was attached to the 1st Cavalry Division and elements of Company B first went into action near Waegwan, Korea on 15 August. Their appearance, along with the 6th and 72nd Tank Battalions, on the front was welcome by the American units which had had no tanks with which to fight the North Koreans' T-34's.

The battalion's employment with the 1st Cavalry Division closely mirrored their use during World War II. One tank company was attached to each cavalry (actually infantry) regiment of the 1st Cavalry Division, with platoons further divvied up one per battalion. Initial missions were route reconnaissance in order to become familiar with the terrain in anticipation of follow-on counterattack or withdrawal orders; and also show of force missions to discourage North Korean probes in the 1st Cavalry sector. Nevertheless, the 1st Cavalry Division was hard pressed by the North Koreans and had to withdraw from key terrain near Taegu between 4–9 September. Stabilizing the front over the next few days, the division and other units went on the offensive on 15 September in support of the Inchon Landings near Seoul.

As the American units began to break out of the Pusan Perimeter, they suffered numerous casualties to mines that the Koreans laid in their path of advance. In one incident, as Company A spearheaded the advance on the Taegu-Waegwan road, the unit lost at least nearly 75% of its tanks to mines in order to clear the road for the follow-on infantry. On 21 September, tanks of the 70th Tank Battalion continued to spearhead the 1st Cavalry's northward advance, at times outpacing both supporting infantry as well as their own supply line. Tanks of Company C led the advance of Task Force Lynch (after Lieutenant Colonel James H. Lynch), consisting of troops of 3rd Battalion 7th Cavalry Regiment and other units, in their drive toward the units breaking out from the Inchon landings. On 26 September, Task Force Lynch drove 106 miles before linking up at Chongji with elements of the 31st Infantry Regiment, 7th Infantry Division, one of the units which had landed at Inchon.

After several days of “mopping up” operations, the battalion moved on 4 October to the vicinity of Wijon-ni to prepare for crossing the Imjin River as American and United Nations troops continued to advance northward. They crossed the river on 7 October, and continued across the Yesong River on 12 October. Continuing to advance northward against sporadic resistance the battalion reached Pyongyang on 20 October. From Pyongyang, Company C and other battalion elements made contact with the 187th Regimental Combat Team, which had made an airborne drop in the vicinity of Sunchon. The 1st Cavalry Division and the 70th Tank Battalion continued to advance northward and reached Unsan, some 30 miles north of Pyongyang by 29 October.

Best regards..

Smitty

Salocin,

Right now there are two 70th Tank Battalion Unit Histories from Korea (1950-1953) on Ebay. It was printed in the 80's by Turner Publishing which have been reprinting and printing unit histories for years. They are very good quality and good sources of information. From the description in one of the seller's write ups the book does include a roster of the men. It's a 50/50 chance that your Uncle will be listed in the book and if you are seeking more information about him you may consider purchasing this book.

They are reasonably priced. I was watching one and the seller contacted me with a 25% discount on his price, but I don't need it..

If you go on Ebay just type in 70th Tank Battalion and the 2 books should appear..

I have attached a photo of what the cover looks like.

Hope this helps..

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images Information on 70th Tank Battalion 

Hi Smitty, thank you for the recommendation. I think I found the two you mentioned and next pay day I’ll send one an offer for the book. Looks like a wealth of information.

Good luck, and I hope you can get one of the books

Smitty