Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Named heart shield bible

Article about: I recently purchased this Ww2 pocket Bible, It supposedly came in the box. The box has a pvt’s name on it. I believe it says pvt James C. Atkins. Any information on the pvt would be a grea

Interestingly the 29th were based about 7 miles from where I live. 27.05.1943, they had a command post in Tavistock, Devon, England. (They attracted the girls too, and as a result of these liaisons about forty local girls later became 'GI Brides')

- 29th Infantry Division of the US Army in Tavistock

- 29th Infantry Division

It is just a shame that we are in lockdown again, because I could have gone to the local museum (they had a display focusing on the 29th a few years ago) and asked if they had any documentation.

Here are a couple more links for you to browse too.

29th Division in World War II – 29th Division Association

29th INFANTRY DIVISION - Order of Battle of the United States Army - WWII - ETO | U.S. Army Center of Military History

The APO needs to be verified.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thank you all for the information. I do believe that the key to finding out what unit he was in lies in APO #7186. Once again thank you all for the help

I was able to find his obituary

ATKINS, JAMES | Obituaries | richmond.com

It says he was an army vet of ww2. Nothing much in the obituary other than a photo

“In some cases there was a logical reason for a certain A.P.O. number to be used. For example, A.P.O.’s assigned to service infantry divisions were in most cases numbered the same as the division. The 1st Infantry division was assigned A.P.O. 1. In other cases, the A.P.O. number coincided with a regiment number. Certain geographic areas were assigned a series of numbers. For example, numbers 825 through 837 were assigned to specific bases in the Canal Zone, numbers 931 through 949 were assigned to Western Canada and Alaska, and numbers 950 through 966 were assigned to Hawaii. There were also other relationships between the A.P.O. number and sort of soldiers the A.P.O. serviced, but many A.P.O. numbers appear to have been assigned numbers on a random basis. In all, about 1000 different A.P.O.’s were in use the period between 1941 and the end of 1945.”

If the first inf. Was 1 then what division would 7186 be?

”A large number of four and five digit A.P.O. numbers are known from the return addresses on covers. These "high" numbers served as transit A.P.O.s for groups of soldiers while they moved from an assignment in the United States until they reached permanent units overseas. High number A.P.O.’s are nearly always seen in the return address on covers, never in a postmark.”

Well that’s confusing. Maybe it’s not connected to a division.

Introduction to A.P.O. Price Guide

I found these, but I can’t get my head around it. It’s either my terrible English education or the fact I’m dosed up on pain killers (hurt my ribs after one too many festive ales! Lol).

http://www.7tharmddiv.org/docrep/Loc...01942-1947.pdf

APO Numbers of World War II US Army Groups, Armies, Corps and Divisions

Thank you for the help. I hope you get well soon. I think there may have been a mistake in the apo number or it’s right but I can’t find it. Thank you again

I found a 718 for SF not for NY
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Named heart shield bible  
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Hmm. What are all the know ones used in NY. The 335355 on the box ended up being the first part of his army number. Maybe it’s missing a number or has an extra. I have no clue where to go next in trying to find which unit he was assigned to. Thank you all for the help

I would suggest reaching out to a research company that specializes in this type of work.

Try Golden Arrow Research:

Golden Arrow Research - Research a Veteran

Geoff Gentilini is a great guy. He has done research work for me in the past.. Found records that I could not. Was able to locate my mother's father's brother's service in WW2 as well as my father's uncle who was Killed in Action.. Got numerous reports for both of them..

Smitty

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast