Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)

Article about: I wanted to start a thread about the Occupying Forces in the City of Berlin from 1945 up to reunification in the 1990s. There are some members here who served in the Occupied City, myself in

Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)
    Every Year we were sent to Grafenwöhr for two weeks field training. We went down, one platoon at a time, in sequence, starting with the 1st platoon. Our tanks stayed in Berlin, so we used school tanks at Grafenwöhr, like the two above. They were dogs. The biggest problem was that the tracks were worn-out, which made it tough to get up some of the slopes. Those wrecks just didn’t have the traction.
    One day, while we were going somewhere alone, we came cross a tank park that had brand new M48’s parked in formation behind the fence. There was a lone snuffy standing guard at the open gate, and we made a hard, right turn and drove right in. He just watched us go by. We backed up to the nearest tank, hopped out of ours, and proceeded to switch the tracks from the new tank to ours. It took a while, but it wasn’t our first time breaking a track. After a while the guard came over to ask what we were doing. I told him were changing tracks. He asked, “Who said you could do that?” “The Quartermaster back the main shop.” I told him. I didn’t have a clue if there was a Quartermaster associated with these new, as yet unissued tanks or “main shop.” But neither did the guard, so he walked away to his post at the gate. We finished up, hopped back in, and drove off on a set of brand-new tracks. No one ever came looking for us.

One of the crews discovered a huge field full of M3 halftracks and jeeps from WW2. We grabbed the VTR crew and drove out there to have a look. One of the mechanics found an M3 that he thought we could get running and use it as a general supply and fuel carrier. The VTR towed it back to where we were set up. Sure enough, he got it running. The VTR crew painted “Berlin Betty” on both sides, and she was ready to go. The last night we were in Grafenwöhr, some of the guys went off to find beer and were gone a long time. When they finally returned, they were walking. They had had been driving way too fast down a fairly steep slope, and lost control. The M3 ended up in a deep ditch, her headlights pointing skyward. Luckily no one was seriously injured, just some ugly bruises and a couple of cuts that we could handle ourselves. We wondered what the MPs thought when they came across a ghost from the past miles from where it belonged.

In 1957, when our time was up at Grafenwöhr, I was sent TDY to a Bundeswehr tank company that was working with a German film company. The film company was under contract to film some of the scenes for an American TV production called, Citizen Soldier. I never figured out why they sent me there. The film company issued us absolutely authentic WW2 black Panzer uniforms, and painted Iron Crosses on the sides of the turret and the front hull slope of the M48 we were using. I was TDY for 6 weeks before I returned to Berlin. While I was with the Germans we traded uniforms and had pictures taken of us. The photo was taken in the barracks on one of those times we traded uniforms. Dwight
    Last edited by drmessimer; 07-12-2020 at 07:42 PM.

Dwight,

Incredible that's all I can say... Glad I decided to start this topic...

Wunderbar...

Smitty

Smitty, so am I. I hope that more of our members will post photos and stories. My time in F Company was a long time ago and things must have changed for the later guys, like yourself. So, I would be very interested to see those changes. Your posts were an eyeful for me. Thanks for starting this. Dwight

?

Thank you Gentlemen for sharing your time over there. Excellent photographs.
    That was one of the sad things about joining the Marine Corps. They did not have any bases over in Germany.
    I have always wanted to visit there. Its still on my bucket list.

Semper Fi
    Phil

@ Phil

We did have the US Embassy Guards and they were Marines... Saw a spattering of them while in Berlin... Good bunch of guys I recall...

Smitty

I was stationed at McNair Barracks from 1978-1981, and went back there in 2004 when I was stationed at Wuerzburg. At that time they were converting many of the barracks into luxury apartment though they had torn down a few. I was with 3rd Battalion 6th Infantry.

sargetom,,

Thank you for your service in "The Divided City"... McNair Barracks complex is virtually gone.. A few buildings remain but the whole complex was turned into luxury apartments as you said. I think the Motor Pool which was across the street is a shopping complex now...

Smitty

Awesome thread!

I was stationed in Detmold in 1981 and went to Berlin for only a week. We stayed at Spandau barracks. The Grenadier Guards were in situ there at the time ...as well as Hess !

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Mark,

I have only one thing to say, Bloody Monkeys!

Rod

@ Dwight,

Here is one of the tanks from F Company 40th Armor circa 1987... M60..

Some may ask where the camouflage is... Well this tank is ready for "Parade Season" which was an integral part of the Mission of the Allies in Berlin. We were to show the colors of the Allied Powers and a show of force through our equipment to the Soviets but to also show the German people we were not going to abandon them, even in the face of insurmountable odds against the Allied units stationed in Berlin. We were 110 miles behind enemy lines and were surrounded by Soviet and East German motorized rifle divisions and other units that would have either bypassed us or rolled right through us. We would of course have put up a strong fight which was intent for at least 24-48 hours to give our units in the West along the Fulda Gap and other areas a better chance to stop the attack should it come..

It was not necessary for us to camouflage our tanks in the city since everyone knew we were there.. Our British and French allies did have some camouflage as I recall, and if I have some photos I will post them too...

You may notice in the picture that there are steps leading up on the far side of the tank.. This was the side where you could walk around. The side of the tank which is showing is known as "Parade Side" After painting and putting lots of oil to give it a nice sheen, you could not walk on "parade side" of the vehicles.. This was the side of the vehicle that would pass by the reviewing stand and all the VIPs and dignitaries would see this side of the vehicle so it had to be in immaculate condition. After parade season when we went to the field we would trash the vehicles, mud, scratches, dents, dings whatever and then juts before "Parade Season" again the vehicles would get sent to the repair and paint shops for fresh paint and lots of baby oil and lubricants to make them shine....

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet) 

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast