Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)

Article about: I wanted to start a thread about the Occupying Forces in the City of Berlin from 1945 up to reunification in the 1990s. There are some members here who served in the Occupied City, myself in

I have enjoyed all the accounts posted on this thread, whether in or out of Berlin, and I truly hope we will be seeing a lot more. The photos and documents that have been posted are worth their weight in gold for research and learning. Dwight

Dwight,

Couldn't agree more.. This insight into the personal accounts of what Soldiers and their dependents went through is really incredible..

I look forward to more pictures as well.. I have been laxed in my posts due to a heavy work load with some stringent deadlines...

Will get up and running again soon..

Smitty

?

I thought i may as well share these photos in this section , even though it's not Berlin its the Nuremburg Zeppelin Field in 1948.
    These are from my mother in laws collection of photos , Have scanned them at 600dpi as they are only tiny and they come up ok.
    Gives a good insight into what the place used to look like. It would have been magnificent to see at the time.
    Hope you like.
    Cheers Rick

Some may not realize that even into the 1980s, 40 years after the end of WW2 in Europe there was still rationing of certain commodities..

When I arrived in Berlin in 1987 I was issued a "Ration Card".. This ration card allowed me to purchase coffee, tea, sugar and tobacco products on a limited quantity basis each month. As I was young and I didn't smoke I was able to turn a profit for for those that did. When they used up all their tobacco stamps I was able to cash in.

We were also given a monthly meat ration allotment (Now we had plenty of meat, don't get me wrong) but at the end of each month we were asked by our Battalion commander to go to our commissary and purchase our allotment of meat (be it steaks, ground beef, roasts, whatever) and we would bring it to the dining facility and the cooks would prepare it for us and we would have a battalion organizational day with sporting events and a cookout. We could invite our German girlfriends and of course the married Soldiers would bring their families. It was a great way to spend some time off and also a way to use/share the meat with others. Our German girlfriends really enjoyed the American hamburgers and hotdogs..

When I bought my car ( a 1976 XJ-6 , Jaguar) I was also given gas ration coupons for a year. Each month we were alloted some many liters of gas that we could purchase through the Post Exchange (PX). When those coupons ran out we had to purchase the gas on the economy which in some cases was better but a little more pricey..

The exchange rate from dollars to deutsch marks was very good at that time, almost 2 to 1 exchange so I could purchase a lot of products on the German economy for very little.

The East German conversion from deutsch mark to Ost (East Marks) was also incredible.. So here is the conversion,, for $100.00 US Dollars I could get roughly 200 West German Marks and with those 200 West Marks I could get nearly 1,000 East Marks which was a huge amount of money for shopping in East Berlin..

The last item is a parking lot time card that was placed in the windshield of your vehicle when you went to park at an area that had limited parking spaces. IN order to ensure that everyone had the chance to shop at places like the commissary and Post exchange which had very limited parking, we were instructed to place this placard in our windshield and we had to mark the time that we left our vehicle and went shopping. I can't recall the time limit but I believe in some places it was 2 hours. If your car was there more than 2 hours you could get a ticket. This was actually strictly enforced by the German Guards and the Military police who would constantly patrol the areas.. In order to get to the PX complex which had the Post Exchange, Burger King, Movie Theater, Book Store, Flower Shop, Car Dealership, and other shops you had to show your ID card at the gate.

So another flashback to what I consider the best years of my life, (Prior to meeting my wife and us having our son of course)..

Enjoy..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)   Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)  

Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)   Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)  

Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)   Occupied Berlin, 1945-1990 Allied Forces (US, British, French, Soviet)  

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567