Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Operation Market-Garden

Article about: The fun is gone, now most of the veterans are paaed away or not able to make it anymore, remember some 20 years or so ago, we stay in the bar until late after mignight listening to there sto

Default Operation Market-Garden

Hi guys,

I get on these kicks where I will spend a few weeks being obsessed over some particular engagement during WWII. The flavor of the month for me is Operation Market-Garden. It was such a crafty operation. Everything had to go according to plan for it to be successful. Do any of you enjoy reading about this one as much as I do?

Let's get some discussion going, for those who are interested. I'd love to see any Market-Garden related militaria, too.

?

Default Re: Operation Market-Garden

My mates Dad was at Arnhem, he actually got out by swimming alongside one of the boats sent to pick the lucky ones up, he was one of the hardest men i've ever met, nothing phased him nor scared him, he ended up being a senior caretaker at a residential college and he broke up many bar fights by just looking at them, he was very respected and to some feared but his sense of humour was legendary

How is Arhhem viewed in British culture? I imagine it's a lot like our Alamo. haha

I know that bits of cammo parachute turn up from time to time on Ebay from Holland sellers - that would be a nice tangible connection to the Arnhem operation.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

It was a bold plan but as the film says a bridge too far, 30 corps had a hard time getting along the single road, the other bridges that were destroyed didnt help and the fact that vital information from the Dutch resistance was literally ignored, proved to be a deciding factor in its partial failure, Montgomery was known for his brashness and wanting his own way, the problem was that the high command didnt object strongly enough

Browning was warned about the SS units in the town but chose to ignore

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Why did he choose to ignore? That was a bad move. lol

I had always thought that they were entirely unaware of the presence of SS.

?

My late father was in the Polish drop at Arnhem ...

Quote by Gary J View Post
    My late father was in the Polish drop at Arnhem ...
    The Polish paratroopers at Arnhem (well, Oosterbeek) took quite a beating, didn't they? It sounds like your dad was a lucky man!

?

There's quite a bit of info on Arnhem on the forum ... the search engine will pin most of it ...

Here's a piece in the Polish section on Anniversary item ...

A few 1SBS anniversary items

Gary J.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast