MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

S SGT 6 air SVG SQ AAF (What does it mean?)

Article about: Dear forum members, Recently I got hold of a nice piece of history. It's a ww2 US canteen inscribed with the name Sherman Lawton and the ASN 39181114. Enlisment records show Sherman D. Lawto

Default S SGT 6 air SVG SQ AAF (What does it mean?)

Dear forum members,

Recently I got hold of a nice piece of history. It's a ww2 US canteen inscribed with the name Sherman Lawton and the ASN 39181114. Enlisment records show Sherman D. Lawton (1909 - 1969).
    "Find my grave" brought up this grave stone:

S SGT = Staff Sergeant
    AAF = Army Air Forces
    SQ = squadron ?
    6 air = ?
    SVG or SVC = ???

I can't figure this out. I would appreciate your help!!

Based on what I am reading, Mr. Lawton served in the 6th Air Service Squadron, Army Air Forces.

I am having some difficulty finding information on the 6th Air Service Squadron, but these units did exist. I was able to find some higher number Service Squadrons, many serving in the China Burma India (CBI) Theater.

Will try to see if I can find out more information, but I believe his grave marker is 6th Air Service Squadron.

Now I will also add that on some grave markers there has been wrong information engraved on the markers since the information was engraved by civilians and not military personnel, so someone may have misread the military paperwork that would have listed the Soldiers unit..

Hope this helps as a lead to help you search more.

Best regards

Smitty

Thanks a lot!

I did some research on it based on your suggestion. It occurred to me: chance 6 air could refer to 6th fighter wing? In 1951 the 6th fighter wing was renamed the 6th air division, so at the time of his death it was known as the 6th air division for a while. I don't know anything about the practices/protocols in grave marking, but perhaps they engraved the current units name on the grave instead of the old name during WW2?
    The 6th fighter wing was stationed in Atcham, England during WW2 and was accompanied bij several service squadrons.

6th Fighter Wing | American Air Museum in Britain
    RAF Atcham - Wikipedia

?

Not sure about the "Air" in the 6th Air Services Squadron.
    Now there was The 6th Services Squadron and it was a part of the USAAF that was a support unit to the 8th Air Force.
    My Uncle Joe was a member of the Mighty 6th before being a part of the Mighty 8th!!!
    Here is a cut and paste from the 384th Bomb Groups web page from my Uncle's service record.

"Assigned to the 6th Service Squadron, per 6th Service Squadron, 304th Service Group Initial Overseas Roster, effective 15 January 1943.

Now if this is the same,
    Then I have the history of the 6th at home.

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

A little more from the 384th site about support units.
    Which includes the 443 sub depot formally known as the 6th Service Squadron.

Click the link.

443rd Sub-Depot History

Might be of help. Might Not be????

Semper Fi
    Phil

Default His Headstone's Application

Greetings,

I can't add anything new to what has already been discussed/shared, but here is his Headstone's Application where his unit is fully spelled out (from Ancestry.com).

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click image to enlarge.

Thank you all a lot for this valuable information!! This helps me a lot.
    (I'm sorry for my late response, at the highschool I work it's the period of the final tests, so it's very busy and hectic)