Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Staff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian front

Article about: Hi folks, A friend of mine was cleaning out the basement and offered me an Ike jacket that belonged to his father. He has two but the one in question was damaged in a basement flood. He has

Default Staff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian front

Hi folks, A friend of mine was cleaning out the basement and offered me an Ike jacket that belonged to his father. He has two but the one in question was damaged in a basement flood. He has photos as well but knows very little about his father's service time. I would appreciate any help in providing more details to the son. Here is the first photo I received. His father was in in artillery unit that served in Africa and Italy. Curiously, this photo caption claims it depicts the first American flag raised by a C.A. outfit (Coastal Artillery?) in Africa in December 1942. More photos on the way. NH

Staff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian frontStaff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian front

This photos is unmarked but appears to show an AA gun. Perhaps someone can ID the cannon. I think it is a 90 mm M1. Thanks, NH

Here is the Ike jacket. It has been damaged by water. I cannot make out the patches but perhaps a sharp eye out there can assist. Thanks for any input. Staff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian front

Left arm patch looks like 7th Army. The other one is too obscured to make it out. Maybe 3rd Army but it doesn't seem to be round.

Here are better photos of the jacket. Rank is Sargeant but what do the stripes indicate? And why two different Army patches on one jacket? Any help appreciated. NH

Staff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian frontStaff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian front

The other patch is a Fifth Army patch. The two diagonal stripes represent six years service in the Army, with three years service over seas as indicated by the horizontal stripes.

The two patches represent current, Seventh Army, and former, Fifth Army, units he had served in.

Quote by carpediem View Post
    The two patches represent current, Seventh Army, and former, Fifth Army, units he had served in.
    Thanks so much for the information. It all matches up. Mr. Hancoviz enlisted in 1939 and served six years. He was with an AA unit in Africa. I don't know his service record after that but I assume he participated in the 7th Army exploits in Sicily, France and Germany. I will continue uncovering more with his son. NH

Here is a portrait of Sgt. Stanley Hancaviz taken at a photo studio in Tunis.

Default A bit of a surprise at the end.

Greetings Neil,

I had a go at what I could find online and wished to share those finds with you and the forum. First up, his selective service card from just after his demobilization.

Double click on any image to enlarge it.

Here are a few local newspaper articles mentioning him. Note, let your cursor hover over each image and you can view the paper and its accompanying date.

Staff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian frontStaff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian frontStaff Sargeant Hancoviz - Africa and Italian front

His 1973 obituary.

And interestingly, an FBI's arrest in 1969. I never did determine this cases outcome. I do have to regularly remind myself, not everyone amongst the "Greatest Generation" was ever all that "Great."

Best,

V/r Lance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast