Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Naval Reserve Dog Tag Info

Article about: Hi everyone. A friend of my partner recently found some of her Grandmothers things and amongst it was this USNR dog tag. I have Googled the info that should be on it but for the life of me c

Default US Naval Reserve Dog Tag Info

Hi everyone.

A friend of my partner recently found some of her Grandmothers things and amongst it was this USNR dog tag. I have Googled the info that should be on it but for the life of me can't figure out what the middle letters mean ENS W VS as they don't correspond to any of the examples on Google. Would be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Dog tags are not my forte, especially naval tags...but could it just be referring to her being an Ensign in the WAVES?

I think W stands for Wireless and VS stands for Volunteer Special.

Mary A Grannis (217185)
    Shows up in the 1943 USNR as a WMID, a woman midshipman and as a LTJG as of 3/1/1944 in the 1944 USNR Register. Entered service on 11/4/1942. Noted as completing the Midshipman’s Course and the Basic Communications Course.
    W-VS, correctly WV(S) was her designator, defined as a commissioned officer of the Women’s Reserve appointed for emergency duties; yes, a WAVE officer, a generalist as opposed to WV(S) (MC) or WV(S) (H) of the Navy Medical Corps; WV(S) (SC) of the Navy Supply Corps; WV(S) (D) of the Navy Dental Corps; or WV(S) (CEC) of the Navy Civil Engineering Corps.

Default Mary Anne "Grannis" Lustre 1921-2002

Greetings,

Had some spare time and found the following for you on Newspapers.com. The large/closeup picture of Mary is from her 1938 yearbook. Articles are about her initial departure for training in 1942, promotions in 1944/1945, and her marriage in 1946.

Njoy,

V/r Lance

Double click on images to enlarge.