Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Serviceman's history

Article about: Guy, I recently purchased a minty DD M35 from the son of a vet. It was difficult for him to part with it and he asked if I (and the fine members of this forum) could help him find out anythi

MAP
    ?

Default US Serviceman's history

Guy,

I recently purchased a minty DD M35 from the son of a vet. It was difficult for him to part with it and he asked if I (and the fine members of this forum) could help him find out anything about his fathers service in WWII. I offered to try but have not been able to find out much beyond what is below (btw...I've searched the NARA database)...

Specifically I would like to know if it is possible to find out what unit he was in and potentially what battles his unit may have participated in.

On the liner of the helmet are the initials of the father and the location and date (Wirges Germany, April 1945) when it was "liberated" (a bit odd as it is completely unaltered apple green DD M35).

Kenneth J. Doyle
    - originally from Plymouth Ma,
    - enlisted in Utica NY on May 20, 1942.
    - Born 1920.
    - Serial number 32369606

This information was provided by the family from a photo of his fathers training unit.

- CO. D, 1st Battalion
    - Ordnance Replacement Training Center
    - Aberdeen Proving Ground, Maryland
    - June 1941
    - 1st LT. Lonnie O. Phillips, Commanding

If anyone could help it would really be appreciated by the son.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

I'll bump this to the top and maybe somebody who used Fold3.com can help you out Michael.
    The NARA data for the pulic is somewhat limited so, Here is the form to request his records. Since his son is alive he should be able to request them since he is the next of kin.
    http://www.archives.gov/research/ord...d-form-180.pdf

Just a thought!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I'll bump this to the top and maybe somebody who used Fold3.com can help you out Michael.
    The NARA data for the pulic is somewhat limited so, Here is the form to request his records. Since his son is alive he should be able to request them since he is the next of kin.
    http://www.archives.gov/research/ord...d-form-180.pdf

Just a thought!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Phil,

Fantastic. You are DA MAN!.

Let me send this link to the gentleman. He really wanted to learn more about his fathers service. The helmet I got was picked up in 1945 in Wirges Germany (written inside on the liner). Supposedly a KIA, but I doubt this given the pristine condition of the helmet and late time frame. But memory and stories gets confused over time

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Guys,

If anyone has a Fold3 account. Would really appreciate it if you could do a bit of research for me. I would really like to help this guy out as well as document the lovely helmet I have.

Michael