Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

"Wild Bill" Guarnere's Dog Tag. Help!

Article about: Hi Folks, I had the opportunity to meet "Wild Bill" Guarnere from Band of Brothers fame again... what an amazing guy! I was able to take a better quality photo with him and frame i

Default "Wild Bill" Guarnere's Dog Tag. Help!

Hi Folks,

I had the opportunity to meet "Wild Bill" Guarnere from Band of Brothers fame again... what an amazing guy! I was able to take a better quality photo with him and frame it along with the autographed photo of the Operation Market Garden airborne drop that he signed for me.

I thought it would be a cool to get a replica of his dog tag made up to frame along with the photo and autograph.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but the max number of letters per line on a USGI WWII dogtag was 17 characters or spaces...

Based on his AAD records ( NARA - AAD - Display Full Records - Electronic Army Serial Number Merged File, ca. 1938 - 1946 (Enlistment Records) ), am I right in thinking the dog tag should look something like this:

William Guarnere(Name)
    13113070(SN) T-42(Enlistment Year) X(Blood type ?)
    Augusta Guarnere(Next of kin)
    Philadelphia(Home town)
    Pennsylvania(Home state) C(Religion)

If I'm correct... I think the only thing I'm missing is his blood type. Help with nailing down the correct information for this little project would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: "Wild Bill" Guarnere's Dog Tag. Help!

Cool idea, I make sure to shake his hand and say thank you everytime I see him.

?

I believe the name would be written as Guarnere,William. The rest you can take from these. The pics is of the dog tags of the Vet who was shot down with my uncle.The rectangle one is the German issued from Stalag 17B. The others are his. The are the back of the dog tag but you can get what info is on them and make yours

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by maximus71 View Post
    Cool idea, I make sure to shake his hand and say thank you everytime I see him.
    Me too.

I saw him at the most recent Allentown show. Someone handed him a Garand to sign... it was very cool to see him handle the weapon.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I believe the name would be written as Guarnere,William. The rest you can take from these pics that the Vet who was shot down with my uncle.The rectangle one is the German issued from Stalag 17B. The others are his. The are the back of the dog tag but you can get what info is on them and make yours

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Thanks for the help, Phil!

I stand to be corrected, but I think those dog tags are in late war format. "Wild Bill" enlisted in 1942, so I think his tags should have a lot more information on them.

?

OK. Good info to know!!! Phil enlisted in early 43 and was in England by October of 43 till April 13th 1944 when he was shot down.
    That is a awesome photo Joe. That is a great man you got yourself photographed with!! And he is a Philly Boy to boot!!!!
    I miss my hometown sometimes!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thanks, Phil! "Wild Bill" is such a great guy... definitely showing his advanced age, but he is still so fiesty! When I asked to take a photo with him, he remembered that we had met before. In his So. Philly accent, he said: "Again?! What, did ya ugly mug break the first photo??!"

The first time I met him, A LOT of forum members asked me to get autographs for them. Unfortunately, I just simply could not afford to buy ~20 autographs. This time around, I purchased a photo and had him make it out to: "WRF". It'll be raffled off here during the next forum raffle/ fund raiser.

Quote by GIZMO8Z View Post
    Thanks, Phil! "Wild Bill" is such a great guy... definitely showing his advanced age, but he is still so fiesty! When I asked to take a photo with him, he remembered that we had met before. In his So. Philly accent, he said: "Again?! What, did ya ugly mug break the first photo??!"

The first time I met him, A LOT of forum members asked me to get autographs for them. Unfortunately, I just simply could not afford to buy ~20 autographs. This time around, I purchased a photo and had him make it out to: "WRF". It'll be raffled off here during the next forum raffle/ fund raiser.
    Awsome you got to meet him and even better that you got pictures !! also this is a really stand up thing you are doing for the forum by getting it to raffle of for the forum !!

Quote by ww2relichunter View Post
    Awsome you got to meet him and even better that you got pictures !! also this is a really stand up thing you are doing for the forum by getting it to raffle of for the forum !!

?

So are there any pic's of Wild Bill in his younger days while attached to Easy Company?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast