Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching him

Article about: I recently purchased this leather case of cameras and lenses. On the leather case that had the cameras in it there is a metal plate that engraved in it says “Joseph H. Sherwood, Jr Col. -

Default Wwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching him

I recently purchased this leather case of cameras and lenses. On the leather case that had the cameras in it there is a metal plate that engraved in it says “Joseph H. Sherwood, Jr Col. - USAF - 8040 A”. Can anyone tell me about these cameras and most importantly what this Col. did in the Air Force. I attempted to research him using find a grave and I found out he was is wwii, Korea, and Vietnam. Then I used wwii-enlistment.com to see if he was in the air Corp in Ww2 and it stated that he was a air cadet so I believe he was a pilot. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!

Wwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching himWwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching him

MAP
    ?

The Kodak is german made. Haven't researched the era, the they were made in 35mm from the 30's to the 60's. This one appears to be from the 50's +/-.

Here is a Wiki Link.

Kodak Retina - Wikipedia

As for the Col. Have you tried Family Research? (like Ancestry.com but free after you sign up)
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I found just a bit on him from a book titled "Air Force Register, 1 January 1956". He's mentioned 4 times, but it's all this same information basically:

Wwii, Korea, Vietnam usaf col. need help researching him

But this shows when he became a Major and then a temporary Colonel.

-Robyn

I was hoping to find an obituary for him, but since he died in 1981, having issues finding one virtually. Since he's buried at Fort Hood, I would assume he passed away in Texas nearby. If you really wanted to dig, you could call some libraries in the San Antonio area to see if they have his obituary in their newspaper archives. Just an idea.

Thank you all for the replys. What do you think he would have used these cameras for? I think he used them while he was in due to the fact that he had to label his name and usaf col. but why would he have these cameras while he is in the Air Force?

Many Soldier's carried cameras to capture events they were involved in, campaigns, taking photos of friends, and not to mention sightseeing.. It is very common. I carried a small 110 instamatic camera in my ammo pouch and I took hundreds of pictures to record my time in the military. As the camera got older and film was more difficult to find and better cameras were available I took a small digital camera with me..

The Colonel may have also been an amateur photographer and he wanted to see what the camera's capabilities were compared to other cameras he may have had.

I remember my father had a camera he got in Japan and he used it when he was in Korea. It took great photos and he used it for many years after he got out of the military. I remember him carrying it with him on family summer vacations and he would take hundreds of pictures with it. Again when 35m film went away and the digital camera age come about he put his old film camera away and he switched to a digital camera, and now he has a camera on his cell phone that he uses..

Smitty

If this is your man he may have served in the 9th Air Force in WW2. This Joseph H Sherwood received the Silver Star..

Now, with this said I understand that this Sherwood does not use JR at the end of his name, but there is a possibility this may be the same person as many individuals dropped the JR or SR at the end of their names.. There were different reasons why many dropped the SR or JR or II or III after their last names but it is just speculation if this Silver Star recipient is the same person who owned the cameras but it is a possible lead..

Smitty

Joseph Sherwood - Recipient -

?

thanks for sharing.

Wow! Thanks for the information. I think I remember seeing on find a grave a picture of a silver star that was posted to his grave. I think you might be on to something! Thank you!
    Edit:
    Joseph Huling “Jay” Sherwood Jr. (1917-1981) - Find A Grave Memorial

That’s his find a grave

Joseph Jay Huling Jr Sherwood - Ancestry.com

I guess the silver star was on ancestry

He also enlisted in 1941 so he might have been in for North Africa and The Normandy invasion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast