Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Young Winston Churchill in Uniform

Article about: I found this interesting and wanted to share it here. " A 21-year-old Winston Churchill, 2nd Lieutenant, 4th Queen’s Own Hussars, pictured in 1895. Churchill served in six wars and wh

Default Young Winston Churchill in Uniform

I found this interesting and wanted to share it here.

" A 21-year-old Winston Churchill, 2nd Lieutenant, 4th Queen’s Own Hussars, pictured in 1895.
    Churchill served in six wars and when WWII broke out, he was still a commissioned officer in the Territorial Army with the rank of Major serving in the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars. He retired from the Territorial Army in 1942, with the rank of Major. "

It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Quote by Larry C View Post
    I found this interesting and wanted to share it here.

" A 21-year-old Winston Churchill, 2nd Lieutenant, 4th Queen’s Own Hussars, pictured in 1895.
    Churchill served in six wars and when WWII broke out, he was still a commissioned officer in the Territorial Army with the rank of Major serving in the Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars. He retired from the Territorial Army in 1942, with the rank of Major. "
    For reasons I have never understood that period of his history seems to be very rarely mentioned and many people appear to think the Prime Minister was the only job he ever had!

This picture illustrates how well cast Simon Ward was in the 1972 film "Young Winston". Still a film worth watching today

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I think he's getting "cancelled" because of his involvement in various colonial wars,...Recently the Green party in NZ pressured the government to take down a portrait of Churchill hanging in Parliament buildings. I agree the "Young Winston" film is well worth digging out. Don't forget his personal choice of the Mauser C96 pistol for colonial campaigns like the Battle of Omdurman, highlighted in that movie, probably cemented some of the mystique that still surrounds the C96. Churchill made it cool.

Wasn't his mother from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ?
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

Quote by SHEMP H View Post
    Wasn't his mother from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania ?
    Indeed,he had US ancestry although their origin was English I believe

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I think he's getting "cancelled" because of his involvement in various colonial wars,...Recently the Green party in NZ pressured the government to take down a portrait of Churchill hanging in Parliament buildings. I agree the "Young Winston" film is well worth digging out. Don't forget his personal choice of the Mauser C96 pistol for colonial campaigns like the Battle of Omdurman, highlighted in that movie, probably cemented some of the mystique that still surrounds the C96. Churchill made it cool.
    As he himself was pretty cool or whatever the period correct term was

The woke generation would judge everything by the standards of today which is fundamentally flawed.

Mind you nobody seems inclined to criticise the modern descendants of the Romans et al for their actions or is that the wrong side of a "cut off date"?

I think the Mongols, Vandals and Goths did some sketchy stuff too

But what do the likes of me know?

We are just the blokes who did stuff rather than talk about it!

Regards

Mark

Yes, though in Churchill's era you could be a straight talker and people might agree to disagree. Not now. Dig out his memoirs of the African campaigns written about 1900, he gives some opinions there that today would offend some. That's enough (in the eyes of some) to cancel out his crucial role in marshaling international opposition to Hitler, in contrast to the appeasement approach of Chamberlain and other political figures of the time.

Churchill greeting newly arrived NZ Servicemen on a London street, 1940

Last edited by Anderson; 09-05-2021 at 02:23 AM.

jwp
    ?

Seems he prefered to wear a French helmet during his time on the western front.

His mother had Native American ancestry as well.

Where would the world be without this courageous, inspiring man ?
    Regards
    Paul

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast