Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Fahrtenmesser Carl Lutters

Article about: Hi, I am curious if someone can say something about this Fahrtenmesser. The scabbard has all the features of a wartime one with the little rivet: no lip, magnetic, pigskin strap. No HJ or Fl

Default Fahrtenmesser Carl Lutters

Hi,

I am curious if someone can say something about this Fahrtenmesser.
    The scabbard has all the features of a wartime one with the little rivet: no lip, magnetic, pigskin strap. No HJ or Fleur de lis diamond, the grips are closed. Grips are bakelite and fit thight, no slack space or signs of altering. Steel nickled hardware, used condition but no damage or repairs.
    Marked with a resting lion and Monarch.
    I can find one topic mentioning Monarch marked blades as postwar, but that's all. Nothing to be found on the entire www! Or I do not know where to find it, that sounds more plausible.
    Anyone in the possession of a Lutters catalogue depicting Fahrtenmesser void of scouting/HJ symbols?
    I am no cold steel expert, but the dagger feels old, good, early quality. But the Monarch mark puzzles me.
    Maybe someone can shed a light!

Best regards and thanks for your time,
    Martin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fahrtenmesser Carl Lutters
    P
    Many

Post war knife, scabbard has a chance.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Post war knife, scabbard has a chance.
    +1
    The bubbled leather is a late war feature, just before the plastic straps were introduced.
    Lots of early post war knives were partly ensembled from war leftovers parts, and the zink based hilt could be one of these.

Ger

Thanks for the comments, gents!
    So probably an early post war Frankenstein with original parts meant for the private market, a hiking knife as it was meant to be.
    I wrongly said the the hardware was nickeled steel, it is indeed a zinc based alloy, judging the dull grey color.

I could go on the look out for a good HJ knife without a scabbard, but the overall feeling and wear of the knife and scabbard gives me the idea that they always belonged together and splitting a matching set up does not seem to feel right.

It was a blind purchase some 30 years ago from a man who said he knew someone with a HJ knife that was left behind after billeted German soldiers left his house. I remember being disappointed when it turned out to be a diamondless knife. My sincere faith in fairy tales was also severely damaged after that incident.
    But it was a $25 gamble so no real harm done, disregarding my battered open-mind.

Thanks for your time and have a nice day!

Martin