Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Hitler Youth Knife!!!!!

Article about: I showed this pic last night asking if i got a good deal. Now I need to know what I should get out of it. I am new to the collecting so I dont want to get screwed. I was offered \\$150.00. Sho

wervintage
    ?

Default RZM M 7/38 Hitler Youth Knife!!!!

I showed this pic last night asking if i got a good deal. Now I need to know what I should get out of it. I am new to the collecting so I dont want to get screwed. I was offered $150.00. Should I take it or hold out for more?
    Thanks guys....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Hitler Youth Knife!!!!!   Hitler Youth Knife!!!!!  

Hitler Youth Knife!!!!!   Hitler Youth Knife!!!!!  

Last edited by wervintage; 06-16-2010 at 06:11 PM.

2. # ADS

Default Re: Hitler Youth Knife!!!!!

If you were offered $150, you should take it. I would never pay anything even near to that for the dagger. It's period example and doesn't appear to be "messed with", but value is hurt due to the obvious rough condition. Repairing the piece would take some $$$, and in my opinion not worth it. It's an RZM piece, in rough shape. It could be parted out and you might be able to make $150 from the parts, I just don't know. HJ repair is not a fun job. There are some complex dynamics involved in the repair process.

Going back to your original post of getting burned- as my peers and friends said, "No you didn't get burned". That said, You can't expect $200 for it. Even $150 I feel is steep. If you can get that kind of $$, you should take it. Excellent conditoned HJ knives can still be bought from time to time for less than $300. My most recent HJ I only paid $180 for it...though that was in 2006.

In the words of the Steve Miller band "Go on take the money and run"

?

Looking at your previous thread, and without even looking at the knife, if you paid $50 and someone offered you $150, I'd say this is a no brainer!

I know you want to get your money's worth but a 200% return on your investment, especially since you don't seem partial to the item, is good any day in my book.

Good luck!

wervintage
    ?

LOL thats funny. Thanks for your info. I thought it sounded good to me to. I am going to take the money and buy a k98 that I was checking out on cregslist. Thanks...dave

Bobbie sue, whoa, she bought the HJ,
    Billy Joe sold it the very next day,
    They got $150, hey
    You know they scored today,
    They made a $100 bucks, and they're collecting today
    Singin', go on sell the dagger and run
    Go on sell the dagger and run
    Go on sell the dagger and run
    - Steve "swordfish" Miller band
    Last edited by Swordfish; 06-18-2010 at 09:15 PM.

do you now someone ho restauration hitler youth knife

I don't think it's going to be worth it to pay someone to restore the knife. If you were to hire somebody, they will charge you for the parts needed for the project, and also charge you for the time, labor and energy they invest. It will cost more to restore the knife then it would be to purchase another. Finding suitable repacements grip panels will be tough. Then a new diamond. Then mouting the grip plates, and working the retention pegs. On top of that, the blade would need to be cleaned up...and besides, the blade appears to have been sharpened down- something that cannot be repaired.

With respect to common, generally inexpensive items like HJ knives, it's generally agreed that restoration is not worthwhile unless the piece has some sort of emotional connection to the owner, or if it's a scarcer example.

If it were mine, I would keep my eyes open on the forums, ebay, etc., for the neccessary parts the peice needs. I would purchase the pieces as they come up, assuming they fit and would work. It would take a number of years to do this project, but really that's the only way to restore the peice without spending alot of money.

Just food for thought. You can probably buy a decent HJ knife for about $325. It would cost you at least that much to pay a collector to restore the knife. On top of that all, repairing HJ knives can be a pain in the behind. Save you money, hold onto this example as a "been there" piece, and when a decent example comes up at a decent price, buy it.

This is just my feeling based on my experiences restoring pieces over the years. I finally finished a saber which took me about 6-7 years to find replacement parts that would fit.

Tom