Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

HJ Knife with strange Inscription

Article about: I won't be much help Peter , I've had mine for 20+ years and can't remember what i payed ( not much ) . But I'm sure someone here will have some idea and will be able to help . Good luck as

CBH
    ?

Default HJ Knife with strange Inscription

I was hoping someone could help ID this HJ dagger , it has a strange motto . The reverse is marked RZM M7/13 with TUIST or JUIST below the RZM . The diamond was replaced , glued in . So it might have a different style diamond originally . The inscription is deeply engraved , you can feel it with your fingernail . Sorry about the photos , it is very dark and rainy here today . Thanks .
    Cheers Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture HJ Knife with strange Inscription   HJ Knife with strange Inscription  

HJ Knife with strange Inscription   HJ Knife with strange Inscription  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement HJ Knife with strange Inscription
    P
    Many

Default re: HJ Knife with strange Inscription

Hi CBH.. your HJ knife is authentic,,but the inscription is recent and has no period meaning whatso ever. This title "Gelobt Sei Was Hart Macht" is a sex movie made in 1972 and in translation,,it means..."Praise be what hardens you". A somewhat humorous movie poking fun at the the Olympics in Munich 1972. All nude cast!

Regardless of the movie this late period HJ has been ruined because of this satirical etch. The diamond will have to be answered by our HJ guys. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

That reminds me of Big Ned's family motto

?

Couldn't that phrase, in context to the period still have meaning....in regards, there is a 1980's adult film called "harder than steel", which in the adult context is a double entendre, yet in the period meant strength and virtue

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    That reminds me of Big Ned's family motto
    Operatur Durum, Ludit Durum, Remoratur Ferreus.....As I prefer when doing it Greek stylee.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Hi AMTG yes there may be a possibility of that chance,,but by looking at the overall condition and the condition of the text and font style ..it leaves me to believe that it is recent The etch itself is deep and does not match the condition of the blade. A Deep etch and a worn blade does not equal. I will leave the final decision to our etch experts.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Isn't 'Juist' one of the Frisian islands off the German coast? Perhaps the script is the islands motto?
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

You Beat me to it Ned yes your correct about one of the Frisian islands,,but Im still stuck on the depth of the etch and the font style. I think a few or our Norwegian members might be able to help out in the text and font style. I would like to see if there was an HJ role on some of these islands,, that might add some clues to the motto.

An interesting thing. The Hitler Youth are known to have been active on Juist in 1940 at least. And, the slogan "Gelobt Sei Was Hart Macht" was also quite popular with the HJ and the Wehrmacht as well. The RZM M7/13 is weak and spotty as are most all other examples I've seen from Arthur Schuttelhofer & Co. Could this possibly be a privately engraved piece from one of the Juist HJ group members? True, the engraving is shallower than factory produced blades, but I would think that this would be expected for a privately done slogan or motto marking. It certainly wouldn't be the 1st personalization that was done on a knife-particularly for a fairly small tight knit group. Personally, I would not dismiss this piece just yet without some deeper digging. It seems to me, back in the dusty lockers of my memory that I've seen this "Juist" and "Gelobt Sei Was Hart Macht" slogan marking on a HJ blade before somewhere.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Your right William I am not ready to trash it either and I am hopeful for more comments on Juist island and the role of the HJ there. Closer pics of the etch would help greatly in authenticating this knife.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast