Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Transitional Hj knife by Wingen

Article about: Hi all,i would appreciate your opinions on this hj knife. It seems ok to me I made my usual Rx to the handle Many thanks Luca

?

This knife has a later added Motto, not 1 for my collection.

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Transitional Hj knife by Wingen
    P
    Many

From my very limited knowledge on the subject, and I'd be more than pleased to be corrected if I'm wrong, transitional HJ knives (RZM + maker's name and/or logo) from Wingen were of two different types :
    - RZM etched on the blade + logo and maker's name on the same side's ricasso (motto on the other side). [1938]
    - RZM stamped on the ricasso + logo only on the other side of the ricasso (without motto). [1938-39]

There is no doubt though, that the logo was much "deeper struck", as Anderson said, in the thick ricasso of these transitionals than it was before on the thin blades of the early knives.

Last edited by Das Edelweiss; 08-08-2021 at 06:44 PM.

?

You miss the thin blade no ricasso knife with Motto and on the reverse sode only RZM M7/51 1936

Cheers
    Ger

Thanks Ger, my bad : I never saw this specific early bird flying around yet. Lack of experience/knowledge I'm afraid.
    Any pictures by chance ?

?

Well my friend Ivan (stingray) posted one here on warrelics:
    1936 Anton Wingen HJ knife

i owned an exact same one

Ger

Thanks Ger. But I actually already saw these eched RZMs + motto, that go from 1936 to 1938 ; they have no maker's mark. What I refered as "transitionals" in post #12 are knives with RZM + maker's name and/or logo.
    I may be wrong on my definition of "transitional knives" (and the experts here will say), but as with other insignas and equipments, "transitionals" are the ones showing both RZM and maker's mark, given that the former was supposed to replace the latter.

And BTW, that's the reason why I don't get the logic in the evolution of Wingen's markings. We have knives with maker's name and logo (prior to 1936), then RZM only (1936-1938) mixed with different transitionals showing RZM + name and/or logo (1938-1939), and finally RZM only again (1939-1942).
    Attached Images Attached Images Transitional Hj knife by Wingen 
    Last edited by Das Edelweiss; 08-08-2021 at 07:11 PM.

Quote by gerrit View Post
    This knife has a later added Motto, not 1 for my collection.

Ger
    Ger : my sincere apologies. I totally misread your post : I understood "a later added logo" and focused on that only, thus the reason of my post about Wingen's different transitional knives. I did not take more than a quick look at the motto of the knife subject of this thread.
    So, with my apologies comes my thanks for your patience (I didn't think I would put to the test this very quality of members of this forum that early) : there's no doubt that the motto (doh !) on the knife presented here is more than doubtful. So, I totally agree with your quote above (and edited my former post).

Anyway, nothing that will change my opinion about the weird evolution of Wingen knives' markings with time tho. But that's another story.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Transitional Hj knife by Wingen   Transitional Hj knife by Wingen  

?

Indeed they started in 1936 on their early style no ricasso thinblades in 1936 with only their rzm registration code and switched later that year to a ricasso knife with logo and rzm code.
    There is no logic in that i agree....
    Thx for your nice feedback.
    Your more then polite and an asset to any forum in communication.
    Thx!

Ger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2