Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Expensive buckle for discussion

Article about: This buckle was posted on another gun forum. I thought it might be an informative conversation. The seller (the grey blanket) always seems to get big money for the stuff he sells. Here is th

Default Expensive buckle for discussion

This buckle was posted on another gun forum. I thought it might be an informative conversation. The seller (the grey blanket) always seems to get big money for the stuff he sells.
    Here is the link to the completed Auction.
    WWI ERA GERMAN EAST ASIAN EXPEDITIONARY CORPS “DRAGON” BELT BUCKLE | eBay

Description of said item. Very good condition and guaranteed original WWI era German “dragon” belt buckle. It is unknown if these were made for wear by the German East Asian Expeditionary Corps, or export sales to China. Buckle has nice detail and attractive patina. Scarce piece for your collection.

Pics of said item.
    Expensive buckle for discussionExpensive buckle for discussionExpensive buckle for discussionExpensive buckle for discussion

I have not ever seen before and would not have spent the resources to win the auction.
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Expensive buckle for discussion
    P
    Many

?

It sold for about double what I thought it would go for. I didn’t like the detail on the rope alone the top and the solder point by the prong bar looks different than the other two. I traded my Dancing Dragon to a friend so he would have all three sizes.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Expensive buckle for discussion  

I agree with what Kirby says about the rope border on the disk, and the solder point on the back. We discussed this together before the auction ended. Yes, it went for more than double what I thought it would sell for.

I honestly don't know if the disk is a copy, or if it actually has legitimate "wear/use" to the details on the dragon and on the rope border. It's hard to tell from the photos that the seller provides. I wish we could see this one in person, in hand.

Thanks for posting the pics of the other 3-buckles Kirby!

Best Regards,

Alan

?

I have always wondered why these buckles are so popular among German militaria collectors. A striking design, yes. But without a doubt, they were made for the Chinese army. The attribution to the Asian expeditionary force is pure myth.