MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Prussian EM buckles - are these period?

Article about: Hi all - I picked up a couple of Imperial buckles, and want to know if they are good or not. First up is a brass two-piece: There are no markings on the buckle to indicate maker or unit. I t

Default Prussian EM buckles - are these period?

Hi all - I picked up a couple of Imperial buckles, and want to know if they are good or not.
    First up is a brass two-piece:

There are no markings on the buckle to indicate maker or unit. I tried to find it in the thread on Imperial buckles, and also in the book by Peter Nash, to no avail. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prussian EM buckles - are these period?   Prussian EM buckles - are these period?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Prussian EM buckles - are these period?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Prussian EM buckles - are these period?

Next up is a steel buckle, also completely unmarked. The catch is brazed to the roller and there is no shroud. All components of this buckle are magnetic. It had a couple of very heavily rusted spots on it, and I removed some of the builtup rust. During this process I observed that under the layers of grime and buildup on the buckle there was the appearance of a brass or gold-colored coating. Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Prussian EM buckles - are these period?   Prussian EM buckles - are these period?  

Roger, both are fine originals, dont worry about them not being marked in any way, most were not !.....some are found with leather tabs attached showing maker and date of manufacture, and some are found with "Regimentals" usually on the top/bottom flange, these were put on at Regiment to company level, but not all buckles were such marked. The top buckle is a varient of the M95 buckle, used from 1895 on, the second one piece stamped version is a Model 1915 used upto the end of the war. Thanks for showing.
    Prost ! Steve.

?

Very nice,steve you know your ww1 items ..!! Very nice as i learn something everytime you respond to a post! Thanks steve for everything you do on the forum..! And thanks roger for showing them ..!

pammy, thanks for the kind words....I am glad I can help, but its two way, I am also learning as well, here on the forum ! nobody can ever know everything ! Prost ! Steve.