Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?

Article about: Hey guys. I recently acquired this silver (Chrome?) Hessen buckle. It has a "stepped" side to it like the older 50mm buckles - but this one is a 45mm buckle. Just wondering if anyo

Default Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?

Hey guys. I recently acquired this silver (Chrome?) Hessen buckle. It has a "stepped" side to it like the older 50mm buckles - but this one is a 45mm buckle. Just wondering if anyone has seen such a buckle and such a finish to it? Thoughts? Information? All is appreciated.
    Cheers!
    Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?   Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?  

Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?   Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?  

Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?   Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?

A couple pics showing it beside some 50mm. examples....and where it now sits with my other pre-18 and Weimar buckles.
    Cheers!

Rob
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?   Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?  

Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?  

?

Rob,

Could this be for a 40mm belt? The Bavarian to the left of the Hessen seems to look smaller than the Prussian to it's right, suggesting 45 - 40 -50? I have the same buckle as yours, but mine's definitely 40mm.

Best regards. Kurt

?

My example is German silver (nickel silver, alpaca) and it has a duller tone compared with yours, which must be chromed, as you had guessed. I don't think mine would shine up like this.

CCMJR

Hi CCMJR....Would love to see pics of your example of possible!
    Cheers!

Rob

?

Not the best photos, but you can see what I mean about the finish. Also, the prongs and keeper bar are brass, which leads me to think that yours may have been plated.

CCMJR

Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?Silver Hessen Buckle? Info?

Hey! Thanks for those pics! Looks like a great buckle. I noticed that it does not have the stepped sides like my example - perhaps just another model. Looks good! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Rob

Hi Rob,

Your buckle is a pre-1895 Hessian buckle that originally had the brass color showing. Sadly some one chromed it. A pre-1895 model Hessian buckle is hard to find, and unfortunately someone long ago chrome plated it and messed it up by doing so.

As CCMJR mentioned when he posted his Model 1895 Hessian buckle, his has a brass catch on the back side, and a brass roller pin with brass claws. His example is text book style, and the way an original Hessian Model 1895 buckle as worn by the 115th Regiment should look like. His buckle is neusilber or nickel-silver.

I occasionally see these Hessian buckles like yours where someone chromed the whole buckle over post war time.

All the Best,

Alan

Unfortunately Alan, Rob has not been on this forum for 6 years.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)