Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase? Is it OK????

Article about: Hello I have a Wurttemberg buckle already but it's been through the wars with a few dings. Although I like used items for the character I purchased this buckle as shown just to have a clean

Default Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase? Is it OK????

Hello
    I have a Wurttemberg buckle already but it's been through the wars with a few dings.
    Although I like used items for the character I purchased this buckle as shown just to have a clean example.
    It is a more copper colour., and I did read It's called Tombak, an alloy with a higher copper content than brass. Quite popular for private purchase army buckles, especially Prussian and Württemberg buckles.

The catch is the slot type so I'm guessing this would also point to a private purchase item??

So I'm looking for opinions if it's all good.....
    Or have I purchased a knock off.

Look forward to the comments.

Cheers
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????   Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????  

Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????   Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????  

Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????   Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????  

Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????
    P
    Many

Quote by Coreynewzealand View Post
    …so I am looking for opinions if it is all good, or have I purchased a knock off…
    Hello Corey,

In my opinion, a period and highly attractive, Imperial Wurttemberg buckle.

A “box” by the distinct reverse details by the way, which are well known and familiar to some SA buckle collectors.

I am though curious as to why you are suggesting that this buckle is “private purchase”?

Regards and best wishes,

David

Hello
    Thank you for your reply.
    That's great that its all correct.
    Super happy about that!!

In total I have about 25 buckles, most being prussian and only 3 not having the D catch.
    With the other Wurttemberg i have not having this cut out catch type I was unsure if it was correct.
    The other cut out catches in my cabinet are a steel Saxony and a Bavarian both with date a maker stamps.

The private purchase assumption was only as I was under the impression this type of catch system wouldn't be appropriate in the field?? So would be more for parade or walking about duties.
    So I thought the would have been purchased rather than issued??

Please let me know if thats totally rubbish, I'm more than happy to be corrected...

Thanks again for your interest.
    Cheers
    Corey

?

Really nice Tombak buckle. Sounds like you have a nice collection of Imperial buckles. I have a Prussian in Tombak and it's one of my favorites.

?

Hi Corey - here is a link to my Tombak. Has a few other buckles too. I'm not a big Imperial collector but have a few. Thought you might find the thread interesting:

Prussian - D.R.G.M. Tombak

Cheers -
    Jeff

Hello
    Thank you for the link, I'll check it out.
    Here are most of my imperial buckles so far.
    Great for displaying with related items.

Cheers
    Corey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????   Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????  

?

Very nice collection

Cheers!

Quote by Coreynewzealand View Post
    ...the private purchase assumption was only as I was under the impression this type of catch system wouldn't be appropriate in the field?? So would be more for parade or walking about duties. So I thought the would have been purchased rather than issued...
    A perfectly reasonable assumption.

Perhaps it is worth stating that I do not collect Imperial German buckles. Instead, my primary interest in them lies in the fact that post Great War, some of those buckles which enjoyed a brass box with a separately applied roundel, enjoyed a new lease of life. The so called “cottage industries” which sprung up in the 1920’s, enthusiastically cannibalised these buckles by removing the Imperial roundel and replacing it with, as is my interest, an SA associated roundel. This is common knowledge of course and has been discussed many times on the Forum.

Hopefully an Imperial German focused collector will correct me if I am wrong, however the buckle which started this thread looks like an 1895 model with what I have always thought is a common design of box, by the reverse. In particular, a frequently encountered style of stamped out catch and a buckle that was worn in the field . Whilst again a common style of box, there are though known variations to the pin shroud and claws.

Simply a service buckle which was replaced mid Great War (1916) by the one piece, die stamped steel model.

As a minor side note, Imperial German buckles continued and for quite specific reasons, to be manufactured in the 1920’s and the 1930’s. An interesting subject and perhaps worthy of a discussion some other time.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

A very nice buckle, and indeed a private purchase item. This is evidenced by the catch construction and the use of tombak instead of brass, which was very popular with Württemberg buckles. Regulation issue buckles were always brass.

Hello.
    Thank you for all the help with the buckle.
    Attached are some closer photos now that I have it in hand. It came with this Bavarian maked buckle.

Cheers

Wurttemberg buckle , private purchase?  Is it OK????  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast