Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Brunswick no 92 schirmmutze

Article about: Brunswick no 92 schirmmutze, but with Prussian cockade..been over it 50 times, everything looks period applied..named to 'Selzer'

Default Brunswick no 92 schirmmutze

Brunswick no 92 schirmmutze, but with Prussian cockade..been over it 50 times, everything looks period applied..named to 'Selzer'
    Brunswick no 92 schirmmutzeBrunswick no 92 schirmmutzeBrunswick no 92 schirmmutzeBrunswick no 92 schirmmutzeBrunswick no 92 schirmmutzeBrunswick no 92 schirmmutze

?

Nice looking cap, but it just seems doubtful to me that an authentic Brunswick cap would have a Prussian cockade attached to it.
    Perhaps someone has an answer, but this cap seems doubtful to me, at least as actually from IR 92.

BobS

Wizard--I have to agree with Bob. The hat body is 100% original, but the question is when the skull was added.
    These "septum-less" skulls are controversial, especially when it comes to the Kaiserreich era (I personally believe they were used during the TR).
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

would that be Alka Selzer.--lol

thanks guys..ill take some pics of the back..it was my first concern as i had read your post about these before..when i looked at the back of the skull and cockades,they look like they have been there 100 years...so i would say its either a tr addition or ww1,but ill take some more pics,you guys have seen much more than me

I couldnt get further in, as the original glue still holds it together..i tried to get the best pics i could..it would seem very hard to have changed the skull later on as this glue would have been broken? in hand it just looks right,i know how that sounds lol but it just does i have no explanation as to the Prussian cockade,and that would have been very easy to change..always grateful for your valued comments..for Australian collectors who may know,this was bought from Paddy,who authenticated for I.S Wright in the Sydney shop,who is currently very ill
    Brunswick no 92 schirmmutzeBrunswick no 92 schirmmutzeBrunswick no 92 schirmmutzeBrunswick no 92 schirmmutze

I have found period photos of this skull on kaisersbunker.com Tradition Badges attributed as a Braunschweig private purchase totenkopf ...thoughts? It also shows them on other units, perhaps transfers, im wondering if the Prussian cockade may well be a transfer thing too? edit, very hard for me to tell if the photo has the septum (old eyes)

One thing I have learned, is check out if there is enough room between both cockades(top and bottom cockades!) to allow a tradition badge, just like on the WH Erel I just purchased, only then you are "almost" certain the tradition badge was applied from day one!
    If badges/cockades touch each other, I would not buy!Not saying they are not time applied, but it is harder to tell.
    Just my (easy ...)two cent....
    cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris