MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

CTR's Imperial Uniforms

Article about: My Cross-Town Friend ("ctf") is also an advanced collector of Imperial Uniforms & Headgear. I will add to this thread as time permits. His comments are in italics: Following th

Default CTR's Imperial Uniforms

My Cross-Town Friend ("ctf") is also an advanced collector of Imperial Uniforms & Headgear.
    I will add to this thread as time permits.
    His comments are in italics:

Following the e-mail report I sent on the last Pomona show, I received questions concerning the value and scarcity of the two uniforms I bought at the show, specifically the 10 officers Jager zu Pferde tunic.

At past auctions in Germany many years ago, I was outbid (considerably) by German collectors for Jager zu Pferde uniforms in my condition. Until this past week end, none were available, except those offered in poor condition or seriously overpriced. So, how scarce is a 10 officers Jager Zu Pferde tunic?

As an example, compare with Husar uniforms. The first German Husar regiment von Zeiten was formed in 1730. Thus, there are literally thousands of Husar uniforms, of all periods, in German museums, collectors hands, and up for sale.

The Jager Zu Pferde regiments was the last formed German cavalry regiments. Starting with Garde Jager zu Pferde, formed in 1895. The 10 Jager zu Pferde officer I have, was an officer in a regiment formed in 1913. WWI ends in 1918. The 10 J zu P regiment is then in existence for a total of five years – meaning many fewer Jager zu Pferde uniforms produced, compared to the thousands of Husar uniforms.

Add additional scarcity to the fact that the 10th Jager zu Pferde uniform shown above was garrisoned in extreme eastern Prussia. When the Russians overwhelmed East Prussia in 1945, the 10th Jager zu Pferde garrison towns of Angerburg and Goldap (see map) were strongpoints, quickly destroyed in heavy fighting. The Kaserne’s were leveled and the homes of married officers/NCO’s surrounding the Kasernes, were also destroyed and looted.

So, how does this Jager zu Pferde uniform, (made in Berlin in 1915) and worn by Oberlt. Fallingen in either to Angerburg or Goldap, make it to Calif. in stone mint condition after 107 years?

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture CTR's Imperial Uniforms   CTR's Imperial Uniforms  

CTR's Imperial Uniforms   CTR's Imperial Uniforms  

“Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

ccj
    ?

Very nice

A very interesting post Stonemint, and a superb example of a rare uniform in incredible condition.

I assume at this level of collecting these types of uniforms are all moved between collections behind closed doors and vary rarely see the light of day on dealer sites or at shows.

Andy

LEUTNANT 81 st. INF. REGT LANDGRAF FRIEDRICH I VON HESSEN-CASSEL

The 1915/1916 Friedensrock, one shown here, were made in small numbers, hence high collector interest today. Deciding on a peacetime uniform by the German military in the midst of W.W.I, made little sense. The real issue was the lack of high quality material for these proposed dress uniforms.

This is a 100% stone mint, high quality tricot Leutnant Waffenrock, for the elite Inf. Regt. 81. Garrison: Frankfurt/Main. This Regt. was founded 1813.

Inf. Regt. 81 was one of the most continuously engaged regiments in W.W.I., having fought in the numerous battles of the Somme and in the unending battles of Verdun. Of the 64 Leutnants posted to I.R. 81, 26 were KIA (40.6%). Of these 26 KIA officers, two had previously transferred to the German air service and were KIA in air combat; another officer went missing at Verdun, and the last of these 26 KIA officers died as a British POW in 1918. The percentage of causalities across all ranks was similar. I.R. 81 was disbanded in 1918/1919 and re-formed about 1935/1936.

The decorations on this Friedensrock: a mint vaulted L/11 I.C. 1st, and a late 1920/early 1930’s Petz & Lorentz private purchase silver wound badge.

Unfortunately, this officer cannot be traced since the name label was removed.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture CTR's Imperial Uniforms   CTR's Imperial Uniforms  

CTR's Imperial Uniforms  

MAP
    ?

Two incredible uniforms and visors. Thanks for sharing
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

General Theodor von Bomhard was the longest serving officer in the German army. He served 69 years, active and d.R., to 1939. Some sources also quote a longer time of his military service in the army.

He won the I.C.II in the Franco Prussian War and after many years of service, W.W.I, Reich Heer, was made a general a la suite to Artillery Regt. 7, in 1939. Note photo of general von Bomhard in his Heer piped walking out. On his medal bar, he wears 7 horizonal campaign bars on his Franco Prussian War victory medal. He participated in every major battle and campaign in that war. His list of neck orders and decorations runs to two pages (I have shown only the first page).

To the Waffenrock: custom tailor label reads: “His excellency v. Bomhard 3.11.1904”. The quality of the doeskin in this Waffenrock surpassed most of my TR Waffenrocks. On the red inside of the tunic seam are a series of 12 hooks to hold his neck orders in descending fashion, as was the custom in the German army. 12 hooks for these orders – does this mean 6 or 12 neck orders in addition to the two he wears? I assume six neck orders, but needs to be researched further. Note also the heavy black cording on the inner lining to carry the outside loops to support heavy breast orders. There are about 14/15 outside sewn loops for decorations, some on the side of the Waffenrock.

CTR's Imperial Uniforms  

What a wonderful career in the army! Thanks for sharing this amazing piece of history and the story to accompany it. A very interesting post!

This is an ultra scarce pre 1914 officers tunic for the Konigin Augusta Garde Grenadier Regt. 4, garrisoned in Berlin since 1860. Label inside is Berger-Collani, the Kaiser’s preferred uniform tailor. All Garde Grenadier regts. were considered elite light infantry.

This gilt embroidery is “puffed out” and is more than 6” long on either side of the collar. Note collar embroidery ends in a Larisch style of pattern. Cuff design similar pattern, with me “caught’ in the polished copper buttons. Loops for a feldspange and one breast badge.

How did this uniform, for a regiment garrisoned in the heart of Berlin, survive the 1945 Russian onslaught and destruction?

A beautiful tunic Stonemint and a great question. I too find it difficult sometimes to comprehend how so much of this stuff survived, let alone in such good condition during the period between wars and through the Second World War and beyond. I guess there is always the possibility that the original owner lived in the countryside away from Berlin during WW2 and the tunic was therefore protected?