Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

General Staff or Ulan visor cap?

Article about: This cap finally arrived today, after almost two months since it was shipped from Germany. It was listed as a general staff cap & the carmine band & piping is correct for that branch

?

Default General Staff or Ulan visor cap?

This cap finally arrived today, after almost two months since it was shipped from Germany.
    It was listed as a general staff cap & the carmine band & piping is correct for that branch, but the dark blue color, unique to ulan regiments, leads me to think it is actually for either Ulanen-Regt. Prinz August von Wurttemberg ( Posensches) Nr.10, garrison Zullichau, or 2. Hannoversches Ulanen-Regt. Nr.14, garrison St.Avold-Morchingen.
    Nice to have it's box as well, from the prestigious Potsdam firm of H. Ahlers, who also made headgear during the Third Reich era.
    Opinions most welcome.

BobSGeneral Staff or Ulan visor cap?General Staff or Ulan visor cap?General Staff or Ulan visor cap?General Staff or Ulan visor cap?General Staff or Ulan visor cap?General Staff or Ulan visor cap?General Staff or Ulan visor cap?General Staff or Ulan visor cap?

?

I forgot to add that I could not find any officer in my copy of the 1912 Prussian Rangliste with the name Garcke that is embossed in gold leaf inside.
    Also, I placed a Prussian infantry officer's cap next to the cap in question to illustrate the difference in shades of blue.

Default Major Garcke

Bob,

presumably Hauptmann/Major i.G. Hans Garcke. This from the 1913 edition. Promoted to Major (1.10.13 S13s). In the 1912 edition you will find him as an Hauptmann in 1. Ostpreußisches Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 16.

Regards
    Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture General Staff or Ulan visor cap?  
    Last edited by Glenn J; 03-13-2021 at 04:35 PM.

?

Thanks, Glenn, but aren't the names spelt differently? It's clearly Garcke in the cap, not Garde.
    Is that awful old German script the reason?

BobS

Hi Bob,

you will have to trust me on this one; that what looks likes a "d" is a "ck" ligature or joined letters. Yes, that awful old German script indeed!

Regards
    Glenn

?

Well, I reckon that makes sense, especially with the cap maker from Potsdam, but I'm still wondering why the very dark shade of blue, used only buy Ulan regiments? You can see the difference with an infantry officer in one photo.
    Which do you think is more rare, general staff or ulan? My guess is GS.
    I always try to ID any cap or anything else I have as much as possible.
    Thanks again, Glenn.

BobS,

Potsdam; my favourite German city! An example of the uniform shade of blue of the general staff as shown in Nguyen/Herr's "Die Deutschen Generale" is certainly not dissimilar to that of your cap. Hans Garcke survived World War one. He initially served in general staff posts at the Etappen-Inspektion (Lines of communication inspectorate) Posen and then the 9th Army. He commanded Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 241 and retired as a highly decorated Oberstleutnant.

See below an image from the index of the Prussian Rangliste which clearly shows the difference between a "d" and "ck" ligature. We have Feuerwerkshauptmann Gardey after the four Garckes. Incidentally, the three lieutenant Garckes are an engineer, train and Landwehr infantry officer respectively.

Regards
    Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture General Staff or Ulan visor cap?  

Due to dye lot variation and fading over time, always hard to discern GS from Ulan.
    I have the visor of the father of the von Haeftens, and it has faded considerably,

Irregardless, it is a lovely hat Bob....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

?

Many thanks for the information; I have "The German Generals" book also, and a number of other Militaria Verlag books as well.
    I suppose a last name of Garde would be rather unlikely!
    Thanks again; always good to learn more .