Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Leib Husaren Busby Skull

Article about: Here is an original Husaren Busby skull . It was give to me many years ago , by the brother of a WW1 Nursing Sister . He said she gave him the skull after the war , he also gave me her duffe

CBH
    ?

Default Leib Husaren Busby Skull

Here is an original Husaren Busby skull . It was give to me many years ago , by the brother of a WW1 Nursing Sister . He said she gave him the skull after the war , he also gave me her duffel bag . He is long gone now but it was a great gift that I would never part with . And an original , note the extra pin mounting .Leib Husaren  Busby SkullLeib Husaren  Busby SkullLeib Husaren  Busby Skull

?

Default Re: Leib Husaren Busby Skull

It looks miffed somehow ;-)

CBH
    ?

I think it a big toothy smile , it hard to tell with no lips . lol

?

It is a nice departure from the usual SS skulls.
    I assume these are for the fur caps, which Mackensen et al has made famous.
    Why do they call it a 'Busby' skull?

?

it's those skullbrows,likes he's glaring at you...

Gents, see here..... Big Fake, Fantasy Skull Thinghy?!?! ...and its off one of these.
    Prost ! Steve.
    Attached Images Attached Images Leib Husaren  Busby Skull 

?

Thanks Steve. I just ripped through the link. If there was any explanation as to why its called a Busby, i missed it.
    Would you happen to know?

From wikipedia.

Busby is the English name for the Hungarian prémes csákó or kucsma, a military head-dress made of fur, worn by Hungarian hussars. In its original Hungarian form the busby was a cylindrical fur cap, having a bag of coloured cloth hanging from the top. The end of this bag was attached to the right shoulder as a defense against sabre cuts. In Great Britain busbies are of two kinds: (a) the hussar busby, cylindrical in shape, with a bag; this is worn by hussars and the Royal Horse Artillery; (b) the rifle busby, a folding cap of astrakhan (curly lambswool) formerly worn by rifle regiments, in shape somewhat resembling a Glengarry but taller. Both have straight plumes in the front of the headdress.

The popularity of this military headdress in its hussar form reached a height in the years immediately before World War I (1914–18). It was widely worn in the British (hussars, yeomanry, and horse artillery), German (hussars), Russian (hussars), Dutch (cavalry and artillery), Belgian (Guides and field artillery), Bulgarian (Life Guards), Romanian (cavalry), Austro-Hungarian (Hungarian generals) Serbian (Royal Guards), Spanish (hussars) and Italian (light cavalry) armies.

Possibly the name's original sense of a "busby wig" came from association with Dr Richard Busby, headmaster of Westminster School in the late seventeenth century; the later phrase buzz wig may have been derived from busby.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Why is a busby called a busby......traditional design and construction, very much a hat made of a framework covered in either animal or synthetic fur/skin...in the U.K. the Guard Busby is made of "Bearskin", where the Imperial German busby was sealskin/fur...many armies around the world have had a busby in their uniform line-up. See here for a better explaination... Busby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
    Prost ! Steve.

Jerry beat me to it !
    Prost ! Steve.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast