Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1907 Feldgrau Feldmütze

Article about: After much searching, and thanks to the rapid service from Regimentals, I finally have a great looking, and salty, M1907 Feldmütze (to suit my equally salty M1915 Feldbluse)! I love the cha

?

Default M1907 Feldgrau Feldmütze

After much searching, and thanks to the rapid service from Regimentals, I finally have a great looking, and salty, M1907 Feldmütze (to suit my equally salty M1915 Feldbluse)!
    Of a shade and weave typical of the mid-war period, there are a couple of very old repairs, but the cap is in otherwise very sound condition, with both originally-stitched cockades.
    Unfortunately, any Corps or Regimental ink stamps have long been sweated and worn away, leaving only frustrating hints of what might have once been (or stains that make you think you saw something)!
    Most tantalising of all, is that the lower edge of the owner’s name label has been folded, prior to sewing it in - probably to conceal the wearer’s original unit, upon assignment or transfer to another. The only way to tell would be to lift the lower edge - something that is clearly not going to happen!
    I will just have to wonder...

Of particular interest is Herr Höhn’s rank - Musketier. Prior to the Great War, there were no less than six forms of address for an Infantry Private, depending upon his state of origin or historic specialty - Musketier (Prussia), Infanterist (Bavaria), Soldat (Saxony), and Fusilier, Grenadier and Jäger.
    The archaic term, Musketier, was finally dropped sometime in 1914, seemingly before the outbreak of war; the most junior rank of the infantryman becoming a standardised Soldat*, though old habits, and traditions, would probably die hard among the regulars.
    The use of this old rank on the label indicates that it was printed prior to the change, and suggests that Höhn was either a pre-war serviceman or reservist.

I love the character of this piece. I hope you do, too.
    All the best to all,
    Rob

*I am still trying to research this, but most sources tend to use Soldat and Grenadier as interchangeable standards. I shall be glad to learn the definitive history.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1907 Feldgrau Feldmütze   M1907 Feldgrau Feldmütze  

M1907 Feldgrau Feldmütze   M1907 Feldgrau Feldmütze  

Very nice Rob! Congratulations! Some great pieces there. I love the salty condition of the gear. For me, salty, evidently used field gear and equipment has that look of having picked up on the battlefield and stored somewhere for a 100 years or so. And having a name attached to an item always ads that additional human element.

Andy

?

Thanks Andy.
    Minty and unissued items have always left me cold, too; there’s just no life in them (in more ways than one)! There is a place for the minty, of course, but not in my collection. The grubby stuff screams history at you.
    It’s taken me many years to find just the right Krätzchen - having missed a few contenders, though none as good as this one - but it was worth the wait. It just ‘belongs’ with my Feldbluse.

The right pair of Achselklappen is next on the wants list...

Very nice. Well done. Love the wear. Looks like it's right from the battlefield. Thx for sharing.

Cheers Paul

?

Many thanks for your kind words, Paul.
    There can be a fine line between salty and just knackered, but it’s great when you find the former. Like a time capsule, even a portal, that transports you right back every time you look at it.

Very nice Ensemble, Rob! Shoulder Boards are still missing, but I'm afraid it will be quite difficult to find matching ones.

?

I know, Sammler, and thank you!
    I’ve got my eye on a few pairs at present, but I’m resisting as none of them are in suitable condition - mostly too good! Though one particularly characterful pair are a tad on the pricey side. Typical.
    They have to be conducive to the bluse, or they will just not look right. I waited decades for the Krätzchen to come along (though, in truth, I wasn’t putting in maximum effort for all that time), so patience is key... I just hope it doesn’t take decades more for the Achselklappen! I’m hitting it quite hard, at the moment, so let’s hope for an update soon!

I know only too well what you're talking about. Although I collect other things, it often takes years to find a matching spare part that you have been missing. I've had this experience a number of times. And of course one wishes that the parts would fit together in terms of condition, otherwise it would look strange. I have here a website of a dealer in Germany who often offers spare parts from the German Imperial period:

Uniformierung, Effekten

?

Many thanks.. Klaus-Peter is already on my list!

Geb
    ?

Nice.... If you have time could you put up a few close up shots of whats left of the regt stamps ?
    Just researching ..
    That is a nice piece ...
    Thanks
    Geb

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast