Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Prussian Ulan Visor

Article about: The 3rd and last of my Max Show visors I picked up. Still researching this one. So any help would be nice. The cap band is faded and looks to be a light yellow. It was labelled at being for

MAP
    ?

Default Prussian Ulan Visor

The 3rd and last of my Max Show visors I picked up.

Still researching this one. So any help would be nice. The cap band is faded and looks to be a light yellow. It was labelled at being for the 4th Prussian Dragoons. But I have yet been able to determine this. But got it for a excellent price so was not worried if this information is incorrect.

It's in good condition with a few nips and a silk liner that is fraying a bit. It is stamped with a 7 pointed crown and what appears to be the initials "H.R.". The 7 pointed crown is for a Freiherr (Baron)

Prussian Ulan Visor

Prussian Ulan Visor

Prussian Ulan Visor

Prussian Ulan Visor

Prussian Ulan Visor

Prussian Ulan Visor

Prussian Ulan Visor
    Last edited by MAP; 09-18-2023 at 09:28 PM.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

So after some research, this is not a Dragoon visor. But instead it is most likely an Ulanen visor where the yellow has faded.

Kaiser's Bunker Imperial German Cloth Headgear Guide

It could be for the Husars but I discount this based on the piping

Kaiser's Bunker Imperial German Cloth Headgear Guide

So...I will change the title to Ulan.

These are the Regiments if could have been

1) Garde-Ulanen-Regt. Nr.3 (Potsdam) Garde-Korps
    2) Ulanen-Regt. Graf Haeseler (2. Brandenburgisches) Nr.11(Saarburg) XXI Armee Korps
    3) Schleswig-Holsteinisches Ulanen-Regt. Nr.15 (Saarburg) XXI Armee Korps

Just a guess but given that this belonged to a Baron, it wouldn't surprise me if this was not a Garde Nr 3 Regiment visor.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Beat me to it! I would have said Ulan as well. Dragoon officers were almost always a significantly lighter, almost sky-blue version of "cornflower blue" (much lighter than the enlisted Dragoons - you can see the contrast in period parade photos). Some Württemberg examples below - Ulan officer on the left, Dragoon on the right (the middle is an EM from the same regiment as the officer on the right). Congrats on a nice cap - I love the shape and look!

Prussian Ulan Visor

MAP
    ?

Quote by Septhes View Post
    Beat me to it! I would have said Ulan as well. Dragoon officers were almost always a significantly lighter, almost sky-blue version of "cornflower blue" (much lighter than the enlisted Dragoons - you can see the contrast in period parade photos). Some Württemberg examples below - Ulan officer on the left, Dragoon on the right (the middle is an EM from the same regiment as the officer on the right). Congrats on a nice cap - I love the shape and look!

Prussian Ulan Visor
    Thanks! Wow those are beauties!!!!! Wonderful eye candy and thanks for showing! Your commitment and eye for quality makes me a bit jealous! LoL!!!!

Also , great bumping into you again at the show. And very thankful I was able to purchase that Ulanen Garde Tschapka from your friend. Please let him know that I will take good care of it and happy we could make a deal!

A good pickup Michael! It displays very nicely.

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    A good pickup Michael! It displays very nicely.
    Thanks Andy. I love Imperial visors as much as Haubes. Unfortunately collecting all the different types would require a new war room! LoL

Thank you : ) Don't think our paths crossed this time around - but I recall you picking up your Guard Dragoon helm the same time I snagged this Reserve Dragoon Officer last year. This year's MAX was light on Imperial stuff (in my interest area anyway). Always a good time though!

Jeff

Prussian Ulan Visor

MAP
    ?

Quote by Septhes View Post
    Thank you : ) Don't think our paths crossed this time around - but I recall you picking up your Guard Dragoon helm the same time I snagged this Reserve Dragoon Officer last year. This year's MAX was light on Imperial stuff (in my interest area anyway). Always a good time though!

Jeff

Prussian Ulan Visor
    Jeff,

Doh. Got you confused with the other gentleman. Sorry my bad! But it would have been nice to see you again. And certainly couldn't forget the reserve Dragoon Haubs. I like the reserve cross on Haubes. Adds a little bit of extra flair.

Yes, it was a bit lite on Imperial headgear (although there were a lot of awards). Except for the Ulanen Garde Tschapka, the prices on the few quality Haubes was quite high. And I only saw a handful of visors as well.

Wow--some good Imperial was to be had at the MAX after all--congrats, and thanks for posting.....
    “Show me the regulation, and I’ll show you the exception.”

MAP
    ?

Quote by stonemint View Post
    Wow--some good Imperial was to be had at the MAX after all--congrats, and thanks for posting.....
    Actually I think I picked up the two nicest items (that were priced fairly)

A few dealers had some other Haubes but priced too high. I was on the hunt for a nice busby...but no luck. Always next year