Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

100th Anniversary IR 92 Braunschweig with totenkopf

Article about: Hello Everyone, I've recently purchased this badge on a platform i usually avoid buying on. But this one caught my eyes because of the look and was being sold by a seller that did not have a

Dos
    ?

Default 100th Anniversary IR 92 Braunschweig with totenkopf

Hello Everyone,

I've recently purchased this badge on a platform i usually avoid buying on. But this one caught my eyes because of the look and was being sold by a seller that did not have any red flags.

I know of one example that is in the collection of Robin Lumsden. And there are some reference photos of an original example online. Mine is unfortunately not in the best shape, but good enough for me.

The badge shows the in silver "Black Duke" of Braunschweig-Wolfenbüttel aka Friedrich Wilhelm (1771–1815) that lost his life in the Battle of Quatre Bras . Below him is a totenkopf present what excites me the most! On the top side with the ribbon is an emaille horse figure present. I assume this is on the badge with the link to being mainly a cavalry regiment. On the bottom the gilded anniversary date of this regiment that exists 100 years "1809-1909" is seen. The backside has a horizontal pin with below it the manufacturer markings, G. BREHMER MARKNEUKIRCHEN. The cross is attached seperatly with 2 pins that show on the back.

I assume this is Gustav Brehmer that also made Third Reich awards?

I don't think there were many of these anniversary badges made for veterans. The regiment at the time of the black duke his death only existed of around 2300 men. Till 1909 there were probably thousands more, but also alot were fallen in battle.

Please correct me if i'm wrong on any of the information above.

Any opinions or additional information is appreciated.

Best regards,

Dos

MAP
    ?

I've never seen one to compare to. But a nice looking piece and would expect very hard to find.

Congrats!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Dos
    ?

I've seen the example from Robin Lumsden on a picture in this thread:

Brunswick Hussars 50 Year Traditions Skull Veterans badge

And there is one shown on this website: Altough i don't know if any information on there about this badge is correct.

Abzeichen zur 100 Jahrfeier des Husaren-Regiments Nr. 17

Unfortunately not alot of reference to go with, but i didn't spot any differences.

Anyone that has this badge, Feel free to post it here!

Thank you Map

-Dos

Perhaps Robin will see this thread and make a comment.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Well done, very nice award. try searching on
    Forums - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    Robin has extensive threads and posts on TK's. I'm sure you'll find something there.

Al

Dos
    ?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    Perhaps Robin will see this thread and make a comment.
    I have already had some short contact with him about this award to have some reference and opinions from him since he is one of the few that i know that has this badge as well. But maybe he will see this and comment in depth on this badge.

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Well done, very nice award. try searching on
    Forums - Gentleman's Military Interest Club
    Robin has extensive threads and posts on TK's. I'm sure you'll find something there.

Al
    Thank you Aldo. Very happy with it!

I read a lot on the Gentleman's Military Interest Club, But the horrible search function on that forum in comparison to here makes it hard to search for specific things.

There are indeed a lot of topics on Tk's there that are very interesting to read and watch. Still working on reading it all

-Dos

?

I agree the search function on that forum is horrendous. I have come across his threads by accident while researching items in general. I think I have some bookmarked, I’ll take a look and let you know if I find something of interest.

Hi Marten, that's a very nice piece and something I know nothing whatsoever about!
    However, my interest was picqued by the mention of Quatre Bras (now in Belgium but then part of the United Netherlands) which is of great significance to anyone interested in British military history as a pre-cursor to the Battle of Waterloo. A great many German troops fought there on the side of Sir Arthur Wellesley the Duke of Wellington and included the "Brunswick Corps" under The Black Duke of Braunschweig-Wolfenbuttel.

It seems people were having disagreement over European Union even then

I wonder if the horse motiff might be concerned with the White Horse of Hanover (which of course features in the Landeswappen of both the modern German states of Nordrhein-Westphalen and Niedersachsen today) rather than a reference to cavalry?

Do let us know what you find out as the Waterloo connection is fascinating.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Dos
    ?

Quote by Aldo View Post
    I agree the search function on that forum is horrendous. I have come across his threads by accident while researching items in general. I think I have some bookmarked, I’ll take a look and let you know if I find something of interest.
    Would be great if you could find any! To bad that such forum has great knowledge and reference photos that goes lost by having a bad search option.

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Hi Marten, that's a very nice piece and something I know nothing whatsoever about!
    However, my interest was picqued by the mention of Quatre Bras (now in Belgium but then part of the United Netherlands) which is of great significance to anyone interested in British military history as a pre-cursor to the Battle of Waterloo. A great many German troops fought there on the side of Sir Arthur Wellesley the Duke of Wellington and included the "Brunswick Corps" under The Black Duke of Braunschweig-Wolfenbuttel.

It seems people were having disagreement over European Union even then

I wonder if the horse motiff might be concerned with the White Horse of Hanover (which of course features in the Landeswappen of both the modern German states of Nordrhein-Westphalen and Niedersachsen today) rather than a reference to cavalry?

Do let us know what you find out as the Waterloo connection is fascinating.

Regards

Mark
    Thank you Mark, Appreciate it!

Both our nations have history with the battle of Quatre Bas and Waterloo. There is some general information to be found on Wikipedia. Black Brunswickers - Wikipedia

Unfortunately i still don't know enough about this time in history and are keen to learn some more.

On the Ehrenzeichen-Orden website that i linked earlier is the mentioning of the "Sachsenross" as being the horse figure on top of this badge. ( I don't know if this is correct since there are some errors in the information they are providing )

This can be linked back to White Horse of Hannover like you are pointing out. Used in the Coat of Arms and state / kingdom flags at the time.

Best regards,

Dos

Nice looking award, first time I've seen one.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast