Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

1914 Iron Cross 1st class

Article about: hi just got this from france.non magnetic core 1st class is it right .who made it //??? whats the value of a piece like this.

Default 1914 Iron Cross 1st class

1914 Iron Cross 1st class1914 Iron Cross 1st class1914 Iron Cross 1st classhi just got this from france.non magnetic core 1st class is it right .who made it //??? whats the value of a piece like this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1914 Iron Cross 1st class
    P
    Many

Default Re: 1914 Iron Cross 1st class

Looks fine to me.

No idea on current values, sorry.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

cheers Ade.the core appears brass ? .well thats me done got 2. 2nd class crosses coming, imperial thats me finished as im back offshore for 2 weeks today . wish you all the best for next year. bye for now.

I have read that they are for navy so they don't rust at sea, but that might not be true.
    Last edited by oradour; 12-29-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Bond View Post
    I have read that they are for navy so they don't rust at sea, but that might not be true.
    You are right Jerry, its just a story and not a true one !........brassed cored EKI & II's are not for Navel personel, its just one of a number of non-ferrous materials used by a number of makers,in the course of constructing EK's, especially in Imperial times, remember, there were no official bodies to supervise quality...such as the LDO, as in the TR period...and it still happened then !
    Prost ! Steve.

P.S. Jerry..... Looks like I balloxed up when I answered your post...pressed the wrong link, edited ! not replied ! sorry ! too much Sherry ! hic !

No worries Steve and it's good that you could supply the truth of the matter about non ferrous EK's.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Your cross is a good one. Possible made by Deumer. This style of cross is sometimes referred
    to as a "replacement" cross as these were made in the 1920s-30s. This was done for those vets
    who wanted to have a second cross or to replace one that was lost or damaged.

The frames are made of a alloy (probably Tombac) and is silver plated. The silver plate is almost
    always worn off the beading, showing the yellow metal underneath.

Personally, I like the look of these. I like the gold beading between the silver rim and the black core.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.