Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Artillery sword??

Article about: Hello all, I found this sword for sale locally and wonder if anybody can shed some light on it. I believe it’s a 1890 Prussian artillery sword? Do these have any real value? The sword and

Default Artillery sword??

Hello all,

I found this sword for sale locally and wonder if anybody can shed some light on it. I believe it’s a 1890 Prussian artillery sword? Do these have any real value? The sword and leather scabbard both appear to be in pretty decent condition. It has several stamps on the blade and handguard. It also retains the red washer and the maker “R. A. Hermes” is stamped on the blade (I’m assuming Robert Hermes). These are the only pics I have and the sword isn’t in my possession.

I wasn’t able to find much on it on the web...

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Artillery sword??   Artillery sword??  

Artillery sword??   Artillery sword??  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Artillery sword??
    P
    Many

Quote by 26Intrepid View Post
    Hello all,

I found this sword for sale locally and wonder if anybody can shed some light on it. I believe it’s a 1890 Prussian artillery sword? Do these have any real value? The sword and leather scabbard both appear to be in pretty decent condition. It has several stamps on the blade and handguard. It also retains the red washer and the maker “R. A. Hermes” is stamped on the blade (I’m assuming Robert Hermes). These are the only pics I have and the sword isn’t in my possession.

I wasn’t able to find much on it on the web...

Thanks
    You are I think close but not quite there as it looks to me like a circa 1880's (I can't read the date) government issued Infantry Officer's sword for the top (senior) grade NCO's. That being the relatively much scarcer predecessor of the Prussian M1889 IOD (Preußischer Infanterieoffizierdegen). Best Regards, Fred

Thanks Fred... not much info on these that I can find. Any idea what they’re worth?