Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?

Article about: Hello Forum, I´ve always wanted a nice Pickelhaube, and now this, rather rough, but in my opinion still presentable one has come up for a very good price, so i wanted your opinions on it, a

Default Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?

Hello Forum,

I´ve always wanted a nice Pickelhaube, and now this, rather rough, but in my opinion still presentable one has come up for a very good price, so i wanted your opinions on it, as my knowledge on these is limited.

My research lead me to think its a Model 1910 Bavarian Officers Pickelhaube, but with the cockades switched. It seems the crown of the front emblem has broken off, the cross in the middel is cracked, and the chinstrap remains only half. But it is priced at 150, so i think the price reflects the condition.

Would this pickelhaube have been originally been gold plated as most other examples i have seen, or where there also variations with this dull finish? Are all parts Original?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Adravor

The seller sells also a firepolice helmet in the same ad, thats why there is a second helmet in the pictures.

Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

It's in really rough shape. Crushed and squished. All the gilt wash is gone, and as you note, its missing half of the chin scale chin strap, broken wappen, and cracked spike mount. Would be difficult to restore and even then would not be economically prudent.

Would say for $150 the parts might be worth this much, but most of the parts are broken.

I'm still learning these by I think it is a model 1897. Could be wrong though.

Here is a decent reserves example for comparison. At 10x the price.

Bavarian Reserve Infantry Officers Pickelhaube - Headgear - Age of Kings Militaria

If you can somehow reshape the shell, it wouldn't display too bad.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thanks for the advice! Yes, these things can be quite expensive, and i think for this price its still nice. I will try to reshape the leather shell, after i researched how to do it best - maybe someone in the Forum has an idea how to deal with this old leather the best without damaging it?

And even if it is not possible to reshape, i will put it on a stand anyways, so it wont deform more, i think the damage it has comes from sitting unsupported for decades, and the weight of the spike slowly pressing it down.

In any case, it might not be as beautiful as the Examples 10 times the price, but as long as its original and not totally rotten, its still a nice piece of history in my Opinion! I bought it and will post more, more detailed pictures once it arrives!

Hi Adravor,

1+ to what MAP has said. Would have been a nice example at some point. I wouldn’t write the crownless wappen off just yet as there was a recent post on another forum regarding a wappen that was made without the crown. I would ask for better picture of the wappen.

Have a look at Kaisers Bunker - a brilliant site where you can find everything you want to know about Pickelhaubes.

Kaiser's Bunker

Andy[/QUOTE]

Sorry Adravor, don’t know why I called you Bavarian. Perhaps I miss him . Tried to correct the post but alas it just duplicated. Anyway, you get the idea.

Thanks Andy, and yes, i also noticed Bavarian has sadly been quite inactive.

I already bought the helmet from the gent who was selling it, a really nice person who continued to give me ideas how to fix the shape of the helmet, and who got it directly from his fathers attic. I will post picturs of the wappen once it arrives.

Does anyone have experiences with slightly deformed helmets like this example? Could someone give me good advice on how to give it back its original shape? I´m still depeating weather i should try fixing in, or just leave it as it is, adding only the missing half of the chinstrap and switching the cocades back to where they belong.

MAP
    ?

Depends on the condition of the leather. A hat stretcher is probably the best bet. But it won't fix the top. You may need a 4 way style. The two ways are cheap. Can buy them on ebay for $20 and maybe give it a try first

This would have to be semi permanent. As if you remove it, the haube will probably revert to its former shape.

Here is a 4 way example (can't copy photos).

Hat Stretchers | Judith M Millinery Supply House

There are also websites (couldn't remember where) that sell these combined with a base. So you can leave it in and still display the Haube with the brims off the ground.

Here is mine with the stretcher in the haube and sitting on the base

Bavarian Model 1910 Pickelhabue?

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you very much! That should help me, i will look further into it once it arrives, but i´m in good hope the leather is in an alright condition!

Strip the helmet of all the fittings. DO NOT use a hat stretcher to try and get it back in shape, you are likey to split the leather... and DO NOT use steam... Stuff the inside with rags soaked in warm water and leave it until the leather becomes soft and pliable. Once you have got the shell back into shape you need to pack it with paper - or other material, so that it retains its shape while it dries out.

Cheers,
    Steve

MAP
    ?

I would agree and want to clarify my comment on a hat stretcher. You don't use it to "stretch" the helmet but primarily to just retain the shape.

Really poor wording on my part. Unless the leather is really flexible you should not use it to force it into shape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast